was thinking of traveling to Nepal but...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
tigertiger

was thinking of traveling to Nepal but...

by tigertiger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:03 pm

i ran into this stuff today. any comments?

"This information is current as of today, Mon Jun 01 2009 11:32:04 GMT-0400 (EDT): May 22, 2009

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of traveling to Nepal and urges caution when traveling in country. The Department of State remains concerned about the security situation in Nepal and urges American citizens to obtain updated security information before they travel and to be prepared to change their plans on short notice. This replaces the Travel Warning for Nepal dated November 21, 2008 and updates safety and security information.

Political violence remains a problem in Nepal. The Young Communist League (YCL), a Maoist Party subgroup, continues to engage in extortion, abuse, and threats of violence, particularly in rural areas. Youth groups from the other two main political parties, the Nepali Congress (NC) and the United Marxist-Leninist Party (UML), have also formed and clashes continue among these political rivals. Violent actions by multiple armed splinter groups in the Terai region along the southern border with India remain a significant concern."

Current Travel Warnings
Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff. The countries listed below meet those criteria.
Nepal 05/22/2009

and this:

Mon, 2009-06-01 02:14
Kosh Raj Koirala – Asian Tribune Correspondent in Nepal
Kathmandu, 01 June, (Asiantribune.com): The Christian community in Nepal on Sunday held a rally in the capital city Kathmandu against the bomb attack in a Roman Catholic Church in Lalitpur district last week.

The rally was staged in Maitighar Mandala, the down town of the capital city, demanding that the government form a high level investigation committee to probe bomb explosion and book the guilty behind the gruesome act.

At least two persons were killed and 14 others injured Saturday morning when a pressure-cooker bomb went off inside a Catholic church at Dhobighat, Lalitpur, on May 23. The death toll in the bomb explosion reached to three with one more victim died on Sunday while undergoing treatment at a local hospital.

Narcisse

Don't hesitate to go to Nepal!

by Narcisse » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:25 pm

According to my everyday contact with Nepal things have settled down. I work as a guide in Nepal and spend a lot of time there throughout the year. Right now I am home in Sweden but have contact every day with my Nepali friends and colleagues.

The political situation is stressed right now but it has been for years. I have been there when the situation was more critical than this, and I have never seen anything bad. As a tourist you don't notice much of what is going on in the country. If you are in Kathmandu you might have to experience one or two "strikes" which means that the cars and motorbikes are not allowed to be out.

Regarding the bomb... It was Hindu extremists who are against Christians and therefore placed the bomb in the church. The rally afterwords was very peaceful.

In the mountains - Nothing! You don't notice anything of the political mess up there.
Before the Maoists had the power, they had their own check posts on the trails, where you had to pay money (you even got a receipt :D ) But since they are in power now they don't have to continue doing that.

I can off course not give you any guarantees but I would say - GO! Go and see this magnificent country! Support them by staying at their lodges, hire a sherpa and buy some nice presents to bring home to your loved ones!

Have a great trip and if you need any advice about what to do & where to go - Don't hesitate to contact me!

~Christina

teahupo26

by teahupo26 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Just back from a trip there and apart from 2 strikes in KTM (that don`t really effect you or me) you won`t have a single problem.
I`m not entirely sure who`s in charge there now but its the same great place to hang out with no obvious danger to tourists.
in the mountains its business as usual,perfectly peaceful and as good as its always been,im sure.
Have a great trip :)

no avatar
Muttaphilly

by Muttaphilly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 am

Ive also just returned from Nepal and would agree with the above posts. The only issues which have effected tourists to date are concerned with transportation. Not much you can do when this happens other than just sit it out. Once in the mountains everything is fine..

Return to Asia