What have you given up for climbing?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Daria

Re: What have you given up for climbing?

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 am

The Chief wrote:

Do any of you really contemplate any of this while you are actually climbing?

Maybe everyone here needs to stop "philosophizing" this gig to shit and just go do it. Enjoy the moment for what it really is, not what one thinks it may be.

Being in the moment ("Now"), is allowing oneself to not think about anything. Rather, allowing all that is occurring, to do so, freely. All without any of ones perceptions to infect the real moment.

Climbing a prime example of a Zen moment. One dedicated to the Zen way knows that thinking and ones self imposed perceptions are not part of the process. They allow the moment to flow freely around them and within them. Absorbing what is real and not what one believes may be real.

Stop thinking so much boys and girls. You may just find that this climbing thing encompasses far more than asking if one is "giving up" anything to do so.

Rather, it becomes a part of ones life as are all the other entities that one chooses to partake in. It becomes part of ones learning process throughout their daily life.

Can there be both, or can both coexist? This is where my original argument comes in where I was calling out for a need to be more multifaceted and multidimensional, cus a climber/philosopher/(fashion designer) is more interesting than a climbing machine. It also draws on my second argument regarding needs, undoubtedly climbing will not satisfy ALL of our needs, hence, exercising the brain is good every once in a while. Trying to make sense of what we do, how we do it and why we do something serve as the building blocks for aspiration and eventual action, which without--there is no "in the moment" you speak of. Although all this talk and philosophy can be seen as brain masturbation-its not as satisfying as the 'real deal', aka going out there and doing shit, the reality is that our conscious experience consist of fluctuations: from exhilarating "in the moments" to silent reflection and subsequent motivation for further action. Beyond our specific time in history and mountaineering destinations there is a "bigger picture" and who knows that that means or entails.
I'm the top troll.

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:01 am

mattski wrote:
brain masturbation

is that looking at climbing in the guide book or on here kind of thing. What it is i like it

I'm glad my post could be reduced to those two words
I'm the top troll.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:34 am

Daria wrote:
mattski wrote:
brain masturbation

is that looking at climbing in the guide book or on here kind of thing. What it is i like it

I'm glad my post could be reduced to those two words

...because nobody understood the rest of it...

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 am

SoCalHiker wrote:
Daria wrote:brain masturbation

mattski wrote:is that looking at climbing in the guide book or on here kind of thing. What it is i like it

Daria wrote:I'm glad my post could be reduced to those two words

...because nobody understood the rest of it...

I'm the top troll.

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 am

mattski wrote:did you write that ^ hehehe

Why, yes. I did.

I'm the top troll.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:00 am

I say stop analyzing so much as to why or how or whatever.

You may just find yourself enjoying the experience all that much more for what it really is/was. Not what you thought or perceived what it could be.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 am

mattski wrote:strate from the hart ^

Dude, you make my head asplode. :lol:

The following user would like to thank Day Hiker for this post
robot one

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:17 am

The Chief wrote:I say stop analyzing so much as to why or how or whatever.

You may just find yourself enjoying the experience all that much more for what it really is/was. Not what you thought or perceived what it could be.

I'm just trying to make the point that perception happens in a sequence (1. perception... 2. reflection) and reflection is a component to (and continuation of) the perception. The perception becomes recycled and embedded in memory during reflection, and this opens a whole new box regarding how consciousness handled the perception.This is a good thing because then perception is not just fleeting and static. So, when in reflection-you are processing the perception as being pleasurable, dangerous, etc. Why are people so afraid of accepting mental activity as an inherent part of perception.

Tell me something that is just PURE perception. And don't say orgasm.
I'm the top troll.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 am

I stopped perceiving about anything, over ten years ago.

It is called sobriety and doing so works for this individual.

I do not process anything any more. I have learned to simply accept it for what it is and allow it to happen without me interrupting it with my foolish, selfish and totally unrealistic expectations/perceptions.

Simplifies things and allows my life to be far more serene and easier to live, freely.
Last edited by The Chief on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 am

The Chief wrote:
I do not process anything any more. I have learned to simply accept it for what it isand allow it to happen without me interrupting it with my foolish, selfish and totally unrealistic expectations/perceptions.

Simplifies things and allows my life to be far more serene and easier to live, freely.

Fair enough, Chief.

But....I find "accept it for what it is" intriguing and maybe questionable. Even in the moment of receiving a perception and just experiencing it "For What It Is", you are still experiencing a perhaps "unconscious" mobilization of the cognitive state of "this is how things are".

We also are not merely passive recipients of things around us and self sustain via osmosis. We aggressively pursue, try to alter and rearrange things, aim to accomplish agendas, restrict things that cause us distress. If aliens landed on earth and proceeded to enter into your room and touch you, you MIGHT have pretty close to a pure perception at this moment, because no earth based mental constructs could encompass what you are seeing and experiencing before you, so it would be pure perception with your mind frantically trying to categorize and catch up, but inevitably lag behind and fail, in which case perception triumphs in this case.
I'm the top troll.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 am

Daria wrote:
The Chief wrote:
I do not process anything any more. I have learned to simply accept it for what it isand allow it to happen without me interrupting it with my foolish, selfish and totally unrealistic expectations/perceptions.

Fair enough, Chief.

But....I find "accept it for what it is" intriguing and maybe questionable. Even in the moment of receiving a perception and just experiencing it "For What It Is", you are still experiencing a perhaps "unconscious" mobilization of the cognitive state of "this is how things are".

We also are not merely passive recipients of things around us and self sustain via osmosis. We aggressively pursue, try to alter and rearrange things, aim to accomplish agendas, restrict things that cause us distress. If aliens landed on earth and proceeded to enter into your room and touch you, you MIGHT have pretty close to a pure perception at this moment, because no earth based mental constructs could encompass what you are seeing and experiencing before you, so it would be pure perception with your mind frantically trying to categorize and catch up, but inevitably lag behind and fail, in which case perception triumphs in this case.

"We" is a very generic term. Not everyone can nor should be included in that vague classification.

And if any alien landed and came to my house, they most certainly would be doing so to take me back from where I originated from. I would indeed be very accepting of their offer to do so with absolutely no hesitations cus this planet is going shit faster than anyone could ever imagine. All because of selfish human perceptions and expectations.

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:02 am

The Chief wrote:
And if any alien landed and came to my house, they most certainly would be doing so to take me back from where I originated from. I would indeed be very accepting of their offer to do so with absolutely no hesitations

Then we share the same sentiments. :D
I'm the top troll.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:10 am

Then stop thinking so much.....

Daria

by Daria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:13 am

The Chief wrote: Then stop thinking so much.

The Chief wrote:this planet is going shit faster than anyone could ever imagine. All because of selfish human perceptions and expectations.

Maybe the world is going shit faster because of our perceptions and expectations that it "should" be different? [Insert morality here]
I'm the top troll.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:41 am

mattski wrote:come to new zealand and youll find out what countrys should look like

I thought New Zealand was part of Australia? Kidding!

PreviousNext

Return to General