What is Spring Like Where You Live?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
glacierpaul

by glacierpaul » Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Half inch of snow last night, looks like we may get some more today. Spring at St. Mary's Glacier, CO., is basically an extension of winter, it means wet heavy snow and maybe some rain.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Lots and Lots of "REAL" climbing every day.....

CClaude

by CClaude » Thu May 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Yeah the wind is up around here, but a lot of good climbing to be had at all altitudes right now. On Saturday my climbing partner and Matt with be down on a backcountry long hard, absolutely beautiful crack (can't post the pictures since they belong to a pro photographer and its his bread and butter and his photos). Today Shell is climbing up on the plateau at the Forks and it should be beautiful for her. If I wasn't so damn busy today I could even go skiing in the Inner Bowl. Whats there to complain about.

dskoon

by dskoon » Thu May 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Moapa, those Spring mountains look pretty nice. Didn't know that could be found so close to Vegas. Get out there!

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Thu May 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Around these parts we refer to "spring" as "mud season"!

Some south facing stuff melts out and gets dry enough for some good mountain biking, the north facing stuff holds snow so we can still go skiiing, and the rivers start to increase flow from all the runoff so people go kayaking. Lots of local hiking trails are closed for Elk Calving as well, so options can be limited sometimes.

A lot of people use May as their vacation season, seeing as the resort is closed and most of the hotels and restaurants have a few weeks when the are closed, a lot of the locals go to Moab, Florida, or Hawai'i.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu May 20, 2010 5:29 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:May 21, 2006, a dry year:
http://hwstock.org/chas6a/html/P5210018.htm

Nice album. The last one is funny. Also, it is missing the jump on the summit. Were you more into yoga positions back then as opposed to jumps?

That camera had a pretty limited timer; it's also hard to do jumps in soft snow.

I haven't done many jumps lately, as I am still recovering from a pretty bad right ankle sprain last November, and from a left foot injury about a month back. I went on a Red Rocks "hike" yesterday (one where we climbed past rap slings) and have residual ankle pain today. I think this injury will be the gift that keeps on giving.

mfox79

by mfox79 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 pm

In Idaho Falls our spring is very short lived, we see lots of wind, rain and snow but you can still find nice weather windows to climb. the great thing is the rattle snakes are not out as much so you can hit some of the more infested crags with less worry plus the rock is usually a bit more pleasent then when its 90 degrees out.

Kerstin

by Kerstin » Sun May 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Spring in Tahoe usually starts in late-April and lasts until around the Fourth of July. Then it warms up into the eighties until mid-September. It's sunny here most of the time and for the mountains, isn't a windy place. If you live here, you must like snow! We got four inches at the house (6300 feet) yesterday and an inch overnight, but this is unusual. The snow will be gone by noon, because it's another sunny day. The farther east you go in the Tahoe Basin, the less snow you get, so if you don't like shoveling, live in Stateline or Zephyr Cove rather than Meyers.

The basin is covered in wildflowers during the spring and you just have to go to the higher elevations to keep seeing them in the summer. Swimming in the lake is wonderful in the summer and there is some great climbing, like Lover's Leap, close by. The central Sierra and the Eastside are only a few hours away. We do get occasional summer thunderstorms, but not nearly as often as Flagstaff. (I lived there in the summer and fall of 1985.)

PreviousNext

Return to General