What to do in October?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
blazin

What to do in October?

by blazin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:29 pm

I'll be attending a conference in the SF Bay area (Livermore, specifically) in early October, right before the Columbus day long weekend (10/9 - 11). Since my flight will be paid for, I'd like to take the opportunity to get out and do something, especially since I've never before gotten out in the CA mountains.

What are viable solo hiking/mountaineering objectives for that time of year, and not too far (within 6 hrs drive?) from where I'll be? Is Shasta doable then? Should I just head to Yosemite? Will there be any climbs in season in the Sierra? Would anybody want to partner up and show me around?

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Normally (unless there's a big early dump), most anything is still accessible in the Sierra in early October, so there are countless options. Sep/early Oct are beautiful times of the year to be there. Nice and crisp.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Before October 15 you can still park overnight on Tioga Pass.

Prior to then you can do just about anything.

fedak

by fedak » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Watch the weather reports. Most everything should still be accessible in early October but its not terribly unusual to have an early season storm hit.

Mt. Diablo is right up the road from Livermore as well.

Razorfish

by Razorfish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm planning to do Mt Lassen in October. They're doing work there but so far no closures announced.

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:02 pm

If you haven't been to Yosemite Valley, you need to go there first (~4hrs from SF)... perfect temp's during that time. If you can find a partner to climb, so much the better. If not, one option could be to hike Half Dome via the Cables.

Tuolumne Meadows (~5hrs) will be 'crisp' by then, but also a must-see. Numerous awesome hikes from there- Mt. Hoffman, Cathedral Peak (4th class near the top; there's also one of Cali's *classic* 5.6s on the other side), Mt. Conness, Mt. Dana, Mt. Lyell (highest peak in the park), ...

Lake Tahoe is worth exploring (3 hours from SF)- just seeing the lake is amazing, & there are some great hikes around there too (Freel Peak, Mt. Tallac, Desolation Wilderness, ...).

If you had time, the High Sierra is awesome, but there you're talking 6-8 hours from SF- starting to be a longish excursion.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 pm

CLIMB or FISH!

Questions?

blazin

by blazin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:49 pm

The Chief wrote:CLIMB or FISH!

Questions?

Yes, I do, as a matter of fact! Chief, can you take me out climbing? Can't say I've done any fishing...

Yosemite does seem like the obvious choice, especially since I haven't been there before, but I feel more drawn to the High Sierra. Perhaps a cross-country route, if I end up going solo? Or a couple of days on the High Sierra Route? Am getting a Secor's guide. Thanks everyone?

chrismarks

by chrismarks » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:07 am

I don't feel like you can go wrong with the Sierra's.

The fall foliage in the eastern sierra hits its peak in late september/early october, all the photographers (myself included) usually hit the hills then. As I recall there is plenty of it on the trail up Big Pine Canyon which is a good access point for plenty of good climbing.

Again, its just never a bad time up in the Sierra. Yosemite is great in October, the crowds have thinned out and the Tioga Road is usually still open.

Fall usually isn't a great time to climb Shasta though.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:44 am

Hit Yosemite, the Meadows then head down Tioga Pass to the east side and hike up out of the Mosquito Flats, see some aspens. Such a beautiful time of year up there.

Return to California