What would you do if you had a week in S. Utah?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
Tonka

What would you do if you had a week in S. Utah?

by Tonka » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:09 am

My girlfriend just got laid off from a major car rental company and she has her corporate car until the end of the month so we are talking about driving from Minneapolis to Southern Utah to muck around for 7 - 10 days (I can take the time off). We have to be back to return the car by 4-30 so why not put these miles on a rental as Southern Utah is hard to get to from here flying anyways - road tripping seems like a great way to go with all the gear we want to bring. I've been to Arches and Bryce with a quick stop in Zion but she has never been to the area. I'd like to try a canyon or two as that's something we've not done (well, we did rim to rim) and we want to spend some time in Moab but what would you do with a week or more in Utah? She is not a big camper so we'll do a combination of camping, hotel and motel but she'll rough it for a goal. We do everything but technical rock climb on our own (just the two of us) and have all the gear. I would like to get her to the major parks but all ideas are welcome. I know you could spend a whole summer doing this, if not multiple summers and we're not trying to cram to much, more about a good trip. Just looking for the always good, off the beaten path, SP, beta.

Thanks,

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: What would you do if you had a week in S. Utah?

by Scott » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:34 pm

I'd like to try a canyon or two as that's something we've not done (well, we did rim to rim) and we want to spend some time in Moab but what would you do with a week or more in Utah?

Definitely head to the Escalante area. Keep an eye on some of the remote road conditions though. Zion and Escalante are the two most spectacular areas of Southern Utah, but Zion will be crowded. Capitol Reef is nearby too. (PS, I really like Moab and the rock climbing is good, but overall Escalante is way more spectacular).

Also, buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Technical-Can ... 0944510272

It has many good hikes. Here are some in the Escalante Area:

Whatever you do watch the weather. Storm coming:

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/aler ... ce=maps-sp

Bring chains and/or studded tires. And warm coats/boots/etc.

That's only for the mountains above 8000 feet (though it is a good idea to bring chains driving through Colorado). It's not snowing in the lowlands, but they are getting rain:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... xDxstQrLs0

50's is cool for this time of year, but later next week it's supposed to be near 80.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
jdzaharia

Return to Utah