Where are the twist leashes???

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
iceisnice

Where are the twist leashes???

by iceisnice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 pm

Ok, I've spent the last two seasons climbing with a twist leash for my tools. I've used different tools and climbed everything from hard mixed to alpine in them and I've found them to be the most efficient system (Twight was right). HOWEVER, I can't find them ANYWHERE! I know BD use to have one, but I can't even find an old set anywhere. I've been using self made twist leashes and I'm ok with continuing on doing it, but, I'd really like to find some if there are any out there. Any old schoolers or gear whores have any ideas?

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:05 pm

re: BD twist leashes - are you talking about the Lockdown leash ?

I've used them before, but on my aztars I have the petzl version, the Freelock -

The BD's have to be looped over the hammer or adze to release, whereas with the petzl's you just twist your wrist... which is a necessity anyway because of the way the hammer & adze are shaped on the aztar.

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:50 pm

No, twist leashes are just that.....leashes that you twist once or twice to "secure" around your wrist. They are old. Not many people use them anymore. I've tried most of the slider or lockdown style leashes and don't really like them.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:52 pm

iceisnice wrote:No, twist leashes are just that.....leashes that you twist once or twice to "secure" around your wrist. They are old. Not many people use them anymore. I've tried most of the slider or lockdown style leashes and don't really like them.

Make your own out of 1" Tubular Webbing...it's easy! :wink:

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:04 pm

I've made my own by modifying various leashes. Just looking for someone that might still see them on the market/internet, etc.

vincentvega

by vincentvega » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:47 am

Go leashless!!

you know it makes sense!! :D

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:26 pm

after having partners drop tools on mulitpitch climbs in the canadian rockies.....no thanks. if fact, i refuse to climb big routes with people who climb leashless. not having my day ruined. and, i'm not a big fan of the lanyard setups....just personal preference. when you drop your tool 30ft above shit gear and you've lost your only way of moving up or down....we'll see.....;-)

Kai

by Kai » Wed May 12, 2010 11:46 pm

Resurecting this topic.

Does anyone make a twist leash these days?

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Thu May 13, 2010 2:19 am

Nah, everyone is leashless. :P

(I do use a home-made tether in the mountains.)

They look simple enough - why not make them yourself?

Return to Gear