Which mountain to climb in Cordillera Blanca / beginners.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Boleslav

Which mountain to climb in Cordillera Blanca / beginners.

by Boleslav » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 pm

We'll have time to climb 2 mountains in Cordillera Blanca, which one would you suggest for the beginners? Wedid Pisco last year, enjoyed the scenery a lot and are looking for something similar. Would you recommend Ishinca, Urus, Vallunaraju.....?
We'll organize guide in Huaraz.
Thank you.

etai101

by etai101 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:52 pm

very breifley: vallunaraju, urus ,ishinca and the Pirámide
by the view and the intrest in the route i would go for the piramide it is also less climed then the others
good luck.

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Piramide is not in the same league as the others listed. Pisco, as well as Urus, Ishinca, and Vallunaraju are all walk ups (max grade PD, if I remember correctly). I believe Piramide is at least a D, and was told a couple years ago that the route is becoming increasingly difficult as the glaciers change.

If you want a walk up, the three you mention will work. If you want something a little more challenging, try Yannapaccha and/or Chopicalqui. Those will probably require a couple pitches of easy belayed climbing.

etai101

by etai101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="MRoyer4"]Piramide is not in the same league as the others listed. Pisco, as well as Urus, Ishinca, and Vallunaraju are all walk ups (max grade PD, if I remember correctly). I believe Piramide is at least a D, and was told a couple years ago that the route is becoming increasingly difficult as the glaciers change.

http://www.summitpost.org/route/159424/ ... ridge.html

i climbed piramide almost 2 years ago and as far as i was concerned the AD rateing given here should have been a PD+.
i do agree that the changes in the ice fall and exposure could have changed so do all the mountains in this range its like a fact of life over there.
all there is about the piramide is a little more adventures climb then a walk up climb a bit more protection is needed and a langhthy approach.

MRoyer4

by MRoyer4 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I must have been thinking about a different route. My mistake. Cheers.

no avatar
Boleslav

by Boleslav » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 am

thanks for the replies.

nattfodd

by nattfodd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 am

Here's another vote for the Yannapaccha/Chopicalqui. It's around AD and nothing too hard, but it still feels like real climbing.

jbetoo

by jbetoo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Do you mean beginner as in first-time climber or beginner as in not lots of experience but has a climbed low-angle stuff at lower altitudes in North America and Europe?

If it was my first time on crampons and with an ice axe -- maybe a second or third time -- I wouldn't be recommend climbing anything other than Urus without a guide. With a guide, Pisco, Ishinca, Maparaju, Urus, Vallunraju would probably be fine.

I wouldn't attempt Chopi if I was a beginning climber (not a first-time climber) unless I was with more experienced people on my rope team. In 2005, there was crazy rockfall above Camp 1 and a snow bridge collapsed high on the ridge near the summit that required 30 meters of powder snow (couldn't really protect) on what now became a 70-degree powder face above a huge crevasse.

Every year is different, of course, but experience helps in the Blanca as decision making is always the most important aspect of mountaineering. That's why I was curious if you meant first-time climber or beginner with some experience because that changes the game a little bit. Because I'd be petrified about attempting many peaks in the Blanca if I was a first-time climber without previous experience.

shottolo

by shottolo » Mon May 03, 2010 2:08 pm

first time in Perù i climbed (with local guide) Urus, Ishinca and Tocllaraju
last time i climbed Pisco and Alpayo (try)

i think with guides Pisco, Urus and Ishinca are the best for a beginner

we did these with the OMG (operazione mato grosso) local guides (Marcarà)

ciao :)

iechegar

Try Vallunaraju

by iechegar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:39 am

Vallunaraju is perfectly suitable for 1st timer with a guide, last year I climbed it with a guide and it was my 2nd time with crampons

Return to South America