Which wild animals have you seen while hiking?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
calebEOC

by calebEOC » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Morbidly obese squirrel

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:18 pm

calebEOC wrote:Morbidly obese squirrel

:lol:

He's just REAL healthy

lisae

by lisae » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 pm

I went for a walk at lunch today. I turned a bend and saw three deer (does) resting in the shade by the trail. I was hot and sweaty and wished I could have jointed them, not go back to work.

lisae

by lisae » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Another lunch time walk. Today we say a bobcat. It must have been a male because it was quite large.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 am

Lisa, though I saw a Spanish Linx (our bobcat) in Doñana NP many years ago, they are very difficult to find here. Don't you take a camera when walking in the countryside :?:

Dottie Little Tent

With this sighting I now only lack a Cougar for Rocky Mt

by Dottie Little Tent » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 am

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:35 am

xDoogiex wrote:What's the difference between a marten, fisher, and a mink? When I started trekking down Mt.Marcy I saw something in the trees and it kept growling at me. Everytime I put the camera to my face it would hide behind a tree and jump to another branch and do it again. Never got that photo. Somewhere around 5000ft up.

Back in the 1970s, it was a lot more common to see pine martens than fishers. They would raid leantos at night; I had one going after my pack off and on for several hours in 1974.

Fishers are typically a lot larger, and have gotten more common of late. They are nasty creatures.

Both will make angry noises at you, though I think the marten is more likely to hiss, and is more used to people; reportedly, martens even frequent the trails and will beg for food now.

lisae

by lisae » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:14 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:Lisa, though I saw a Spanish Linx (our bobcat) in Doñana NP many years ago, they are very difficult to find here. Don't you take a camera when walking in the countryside :?:

Diego,

I work at a university and am walking on the campus, during my lunch hour. There is a lot of open space as the upper part of campus is a nature preserve and the campus is flanked by several state parks and a city park. Lots of trails. I should carry a camera, but am not organized enough. One more thing to remember when I get ready for work.

I've seen bobcats fairly often in the area; they are pretty common. My friend told me a story today about going for a quick walk at one of the state parks, Wilder Ranch. She said she saw a bobcat sitting on the edge of the parking lot. It didn't seemed alarmed by her presence, so she followed it for a while when it wandered off. It was investigating all of the gopher holes, etc.

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Chamois, marmots, various kinds of deer, elk (European for moose), reindeer, otters, wild boars, foxes, martens, weasels, ermines (stoats), mink, hares, eagles, falcons, hawks, ravens, choughs, ptarmigan, cranes, herons, storks, a few species of grouse, vipers, tortoises, snakes, lizards, bats, a northern birch mouse, fire salamanders, and several more.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:45 pm

'Dean' said this little guy was out late eating chocolate-covered ants.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:13 pm

lisae wrote:
Diego Sahagún wrote:Lisa, though I saw a Spanish Linx (our bobcat) in Doñana NP many years ago, they are very difficult to find here. Don't you take a camera when walking in the countryside :?:

Diego,

I work at a university and am walking on the campus, during my lunch hour. There is a lot of open space as the upper part of campus is a nature preserve and the campus is flanked by several state parks and a city park. Lots of trails. I should carry a camera, but am not organized enough. One more thing to remember when I get ready for work.

I've seen bobcats fairly often in the area; they are pretty common. My friend told me a story today about going for a quick walk at one of the state parks, Wilder Ranch. She said she saw a bobcat sitting on the edge of the parking lot. It didn't seemed alarmed by her presence, so she followed it for a while when it wandered off. It was investigating all of the gopher holes, etc.

The only place that I've seen a bobcat in the wild was not far from UCSC (Henry Cowell State Park). I used to run there in the early morning and would see one along one of the creeks every now and then.

lisae

by lisae » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:52 pm

lcarreau wrote:Image

He is kinda cute!

lisae

by lisae » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:01 pm

mconnell wrote:[

The only place that I've seen a bobcat in the wild was not far from UCSC (Henry Cowell State Park). I used to run there in the early morning and would see one along one of the creeks every now and then.

Nice!

I wonder if bobcats are becoming more common in the Central Coast. I see them fairly regularly, near and on the UCSC campus. I've also seen several while at the Pinnacles. One day we were driving out on the east side. A bobcat crossed the road in front of us, paused before going up hill and stared at us. He went up the hill a bit and stopped again to look at us. My camera was in my pack so I didn't have time to take his picture, but it seemed like he was giving us the opportunity.

I haven't seen a mountain lion yet, but I know there are several on campus. One of my friends, who works for the arboretum, has found partially consumed deer carcases in the area. And there are a lot of deer. Especially now - I think some were displaced by the Lockheed fire.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Lisa & mconnell, here it's so difficult to see our bobcat in the countryside. Even it's most common seen in reserves as Doñana NP and some areas of Sierra Morena. It's unthinkable to find it in a campus and very difficult out of NPs and very protected enclosure areas. Now there are less than 300 individuals of Iberian Lynx in Spain.

Lisa, take the camera with you :wink:

keema

by keema » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:48 am

Who needs to go hiking? This guy was waiting on my porch when I arrived home the other evevning.

PreviousNext

Return to General