Why did Herrligkoffer send a red rocket on Nanga Parbat?

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
no avatar
ycc

Why did Herrligkoffer send a red rocket on Nanga Parbat?

by ycc » Fri May 23, 2014 11:26 am

Hi,

One important fact of the famous and disastrous climb of Nanga Parbat in 1970 where Reihnold Messner lost his brother Gunther, is that the expedition leader Herrligkoffer erroneously fired a red rocket which indicated bad weather, instead of a blue which would have been appropriate.

I do not accept the explanation that it "was a mistake". Such mistakes are not made on expeditions at this level. There must have been a reason. (Maybe one answer is in R. Messner's book, I think it has the title "The red rocket ...". Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to read it.)

/ycc

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Why did Herrligkoffer send a red rocket on Nanga Parbat?

by Scott » Fri May 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Supposedly the manufacturer of the blue rockets shipped mislabeled red ones by mistake, but then it seems strange that no one on the expedition tested one before hand.

no avatar
ycc

Re: Why did Herrligkoffer send a red rocket on Nanga Parbat?

by ycc » Fri May 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Thanks for reply. I agree. Very strange that it can happen. Both erroneous labeling and no testing are very unlikely.

Herrligkoffer is portrayed in a film, saying the same thing - "wrongly labeled". But the lady taking notes does not seem not to believe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB4wyfV1Hgo
@ 46:40

My impression is that this film is giving Messner's side of the story. it portrays the conflicts within the group.

I would like to know Messner's opinion why the wrong rocket was sent. My question is"Could Herrligkoffer gain anything by sending the wrong rocket?"

Herrligkoffer considered R. Messner a "hotspur". But I am not sure this could explain why he would send a red rocket. Maybe just to send Reinhold off alone, without the support of his brother????? Just guessing here, though.

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander