Why do the people of California think Summitpost is dead?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
DukeJH

Re: Why do the people of California think Summitpost is dead

by DukeJH » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm

I moved to California from Texas to climb and SP was a key source of beta, training, and gear advice. I generally agree with David about staleness. I have drifted away from SP forums because there is very little in them FOR ME. David's response above reminded me that the community needs contributions FROM ME to be vibrant. SP isn't dead. It is challenged and needs continued contributions from those who have gained from its knowledge base.

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:38 am

You miss the Chief posting here, eh ? Those were the days. The days that blew this place right up !

The following user would like to thank Craig Peer for this post
Romain, Zzyzx

Denjem

by Denjem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:24 am

I would rather see one guy loose his shit over some post than no posts at all. Feeling a little dead around here, except for the first few posts in the forum. This would be a perfect time to make a bad death joke, but I will not.

T. White
Forum Moderator

by T. White » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 am

When the General forum has been spammed for a week now with no action from moderators, I'd say it seems comatose.

Humphrey

by Humphrey » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Dead? Not for useful information, I think.

The forum dead? Sure, except for Prate and Prattle, that continues on. I agree with the OP, it is dead. California, maybe, but not totally. Check out the SW forum. Nothing in well over a year for partners, and several months for general SW communications.

I did see a complaint thread about the new editor, which sucks. Hopefully, the actual information that made this site a mainstay for people like me since 2007, when I first discovered it, that remains.

I agree about Facebook, and whatever other narcissistic broadcasting website come and go, and their impact on the forums and general site traffic. In general, the internet seems almost to have become a victim of it's own success. But those places are often filled with junk and are useless. Who remembers myspace these days?

Maybe, the flame that burns brightest will burn out, and a warm smolder of SP will continue to keep us warm with the information found within, to attract others to update, add and improve things, and remain online for people like me to reference when planning a trip.

I do notice the general thread filled with spam at this writing, and I know some websites, like Mark's Daily Apple, have grown tired of removing garbage all together and simply shut down the forum. In time, the site may consider trimming dead areas to streamline and simplify for their own convenience.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:46 am

My two cents... firstly the post regarding Chief.... I miss him. Regardless of some issue with him and a few here, (no names) that totally gad an agenda against him he offered great input. Secondly- some... and I think specifically one ELF/Moderator over regulated what was discussed with bias to the detriment to this forum. So this forum here became 100% serious. Mistake. Banter is fine and a few screwed that up.

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:19 pm

^^^ this!

And they should also bring that "Toxo" gal back. You know, the Turkish gal who always was good @ getting folks in trouble.

The banter back and forth with her was priceless.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

ZeeJay
Forum Moderator

by ZeeJay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:39 pm

lcarreau wrote:And they should also bring that "Toxo" gal back. You know, the Turkish gal who always was good @ getting folks in trouble.

The banter back and forth with her was priceless.

Huh? She's still here and posts frequently. If you haven't figured that out, it is you who has been away.

Denjem

by Denjem » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:55 pm

I will admit I don't post nearly as much as I used too. I don't even stop by the site as much. I like to see that there are some of the old posters out there still doing the damn thing. I believe if we want the site to be better, a little effort from everyone can make big impacts. If it is just a quick went here this day and did this. These were the conditions. Here is a pic. But, then again, maybe I am not the only one that has had major life changes and doesn't get out nearly as much as I used too or want to. Just nothing to report lately.

The following user would like to thank Denjem for this post
Matt Miller

danmerrick

by danmerrick » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:43 am

They all migrated to SuperTopo - then SuperTopo died too.

Denjem

by Denjem » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:57 pm

And why do you think that is? I go to SuperTopo and Mountain Project. They are slightly more active. What makes Summitpost so much less attractive?

RaymondShevsky

by RaymondShevsky » Fri May 22, 2020 6:09 pm

I still check Summitpost as first port of call for new route beta. However, the forums are definitely a lot tamer and I tend not to bother reading them now. Even with the douchebag flame wars (often involving Chief) back in 2009 you learned something. I recall an epic battle between Pellucid Wombat and Eric Willhite, with people taking sides. Sure, it got quite nasty but it was fascinating; the arguments inspired research and I learned from it (as an observer - I was in no way a participant!).

And what about all the drama over that Daria girl?

The following user would like to thank RaymondShevsky for this post
96avs01

fedak

by fedak » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 pm

> And what about all the drama over that Daria girl?

And Pete and his neverending #@$%@ decade long crusade over a defunct Sierra Club chapter.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
96avs01, Zzyzx

Denjem

by Denjem » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:30 pm

So dead! RIP Summitpost

mvs

by mvs » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Is the Chief around anywhere? I spent a weekend climbing with him in 2008 and had a great time. He put me up for the night and shared a lot of thrilling stories about Antarctica. Time flies!

PreviousNext

Return to California