Wind Rivere Mosquitos and well's creek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
courtpace

Wind Rivere Mosquitos and well's creek

by courtpace » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:53 pm

I am heading into the green river lakes TH tomorrow 9/2 to saturday. Trying to attack Gannett in 2 days via Wells Creek. Anyone been up recently with beta on the mosquitos? Also, any beta that isn't already published on the Wells Creek route would be much appreciated.
Court

Bill Reed

Re: Wind Rivere Mosquitos and well's creek

by Bill Reed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:27 am

Haven't been in that exact area but was in the Winds, not far from Gannett, August 5 - 13th. Bugs were horrific then, guessing they're gone now or fading fast. Can't help you on the Well's Creek approach but I think I've read some trip reports on SP that dealt with it.

courtpace

by courtpace » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:07 pm

For anyone that is interested. The bugs are diminishing fast and weren't even a problem. Well's creek is an awesome approach that affords lots of fun scrambling while cutting off many miles from the standard approach. The "cleft" is easily navigable by hopping across the river if you don't like the idea of climbing as of right now in the fall. I imagine that river is ripping up until late august. We soloed the climb on the way up and it pushed our "uh oh" buttons a bit. Not for the faint of heart. The upper valley is beautiful and route finding very easy. We packed into three forks park on day one, left day 2 at 645 am, hit summit at 200 pm, back to camp at 6, hiked out and got to car at midnight. The approach is very flat and a good runner do this in a day. Super fun route!
Court

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for posting.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)