Would you rather live in the wilderness or civilization?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

I would rather...

Live in civilization
61%
Live in the wilderness
30%
Undecided
9%

Total votes : 33
no avatar
sneakyracer

Re: Would you rather live in the wilderness or civilization?

by sneakyracer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:34 pm

I would LOVE to live in the wilderness as long as I have internet, for reading, communication, entertainment.

I live on a densely popuplated Island, have for 36 years, so I dont need to be around a lot of people, actually I dont like it.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Living in a small California mountain town with hiking, rock climbing, skiing and four season weather does it for me. Like minded people, mid week access to excellent granite and enough free time to go climbing are the issues that always mattered to the two of us. I just wish I had the courage to do it many years ago. Moving to Idyllwild 10 years ago was the best thing the two of us did. I gues it all depends on what is important in one's life. Outdoors is where it's at for us, so city living is out. BTW re Bob Sihler's note about Wyoming, we could live (for example) in the Pinedale area in a minute. Having Wind River Range in one's backyard would have to be really something.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 pm

asmrz wrote:Living in a small California mountain town with hiking, rock climbing, skiing and four season weather does it for me. Like minded people, mid week access to excellent granite and enough free time to go climbing are the issues that always mattered to the two of us. I just wish I had the courage to do it many years ago. Moving to Idyllwild 10 years ago was the best thing the two of us did. I gues it all depends on what is important in one's life. Outdoors is where it's at for us, so city living is out. BTW re Bob Sihler's note about Wyoming, we could live (for example) in the Pinedale area in a minute. Having Wind River Range in one's backyard would have to be really something.

What he said! Although I have to go to the city to work, it is worth it to me to commute. Having rock climbing, several trailheads, and bc skiing within 30 minutes of here makes it worth it. I do have to drive for resort skiing, but I'm on top of Breckenridge or Monarch in less than 2 hours from starting the car. What it comes down to for me is compromise between the mountains and work.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Some friends of mine homesteaded in AK. They live in wilderness, and even skied from their cabin up and down Denali for two months. I would be more likely live in the wilderness if there were no bugs, an internet cafe, and a BD store there... and a climbing gym. ...and a brew pub ...and a good taco stand.
我不知道杰克

NW

by NW » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Haha well you better have a healthy supply of TP if your going to have a taco stand in the woods. As far as bugs go I read something recently in National Geographic stating the UN'S Food and Agriculture Organization is seriously considering the benefit of including insects in regular diet. They think that it will help with food shortages overall. For example a small grasshopper has 20g of protein, crickets are high in calcium. Doesn't that warm you up to them? Haha, it doesn't for me but who knows what will be common place soon on our snack plates.... Their only downside was getting us westerners to accept the idea. Giant water beetle below great source of fat with good amounts of calcium, phosphorus, protein and iron. Drooling yet?

MiguelVieira

by MiguelVieira » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Civilization. The more people live in the wilderness, the less wilderness there is.

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:58 pm

We live in the Virginia countryside about 50 miles outside of D.C. People here typically live on several acres of rolling piedmont and many keep horses, cows, sheep, etc. Our nearby town has plenty of readily available shopping, coffee houses, schools, medics, etc. Heading east, In off peak traffic, we can be in the big city in about 90 mins. Heading west, we can be in the Blue Ridge Mtns. in under an hour. I call this civilization.......some of our adult children call it the wilderness!
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:30 pm

I confess, I really like hot showers!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

runawayreignbow

by runawayreignbow » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Wilderness! I would need internet, my magic bullet mixer and toilet paper though. Don't care about having a cellphone.

yatsek

by yatsek » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 am

asmrz wrote:Having Wind River Range in one's backyard would have to be really something.

Ano/tak.
Arthur Digbee wrote:We also take potshots at people who spell with unnecessary "u"s.

Yep/yeah.

Greetings from your old, doomed neighbour. We can survive despite the potshots as long as they come with the patriots.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 am

Wilderzation. I live on the outskirts of Vegas. It's definitely wild downtown. Some areas up here didn't even have broad-band when I came here in 1998. We still don't have many 24-hour plastic surgery urgent care clinics.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 pm

How you must suffer!

Are people still moving to Vegas from LA? I'm sure they'll bring what you need.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:53 pm

I seriously doubt that many of the people reading this board would survive in a true wilderness for more than a couple weeks without having supplies brought to them constantly. I know I couldn't. I couldn't carry enough beer.

Previous

Return to General