Pic de Racofred

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Additional Information Object Type: Mountain/Rock

Overview

Pic de Racofred is located in Pyrenees mountains, in the northwest part of Andorra, about 15 km from andorran capital city - Andorra La Vella. It is a minor peak on the ridge east of Pic de Medacorba (Medecourbe). It is easily accessable from Coll dels Estanys Forcats.

The view is great towards north, east and south. Towards west the higher summits Pic de Medacorba and Coma Pedrosa dominates the view.

Getting There


From Andorra:
Andorra is a small country situated between Spain and France. There is no airport nor railway connection in Andorra, so you may get there only by car or by bus. By car you must get the N-145 way from La Seu d'Urgell in Spain and pass the border. Bus connections are aviable from Barcelona (Barcelona Sants station), Lleida and La Seu d'Urgell. You can also reach it by car or bus from Toulouse in France.
From the capital city of Andorra - Andorra La Vella you must get (by bus or car) to Arinsal- small village, well known as a ski resort. In the north part of village, it's a tunnel. The trail starts just behind it. You should go with the red marked GR11 trail and in the place, where it splits - take a GR11.1 variant, and go to the Refugi del Pla de l'Estany. Then go farther with this trail, till you come to big lakes- Estanys Forcats. From this point you have the summit to your right. Contiunue with trail GR11.1 until you reach Collada dels Estanys Forcats - pass between Roca Entravessada and Pic de Medecourbe. From right east of the col, follow the ledge on the south side of Pic de Medacorba going eastwards to the pass west of the top. From there some easy scrambling to the top.
Hiking takes about 4 hours, and can be done as a short day trip from Andorra..

From Spain:
You have to go with GR11 trail in direction from the Vall Ferrera Refuge to Refugi de Baiau (J.M. Monfort Refuge). From there, go with the GR11.1 variant until you reach Collada dels Estanys Forcats - pass between Roca Entravessada and Pic de Medecourbe. From there as described above.

Red Tape

There is no red tape.

Camping

Threre are many posibilities of camping in this area:
- Arinsal - you can spend a night in one of the hotels in Arinsal.
- Andorra La Vella / Escaldes. Many hotels here, also some inexpensive ones. The trip can be done in one day with bus from here.
- Refugi del Pla de l'Estany - It's a free refuge without a service. There are 6 places to sleep, but you have to have a sleeping bag.
- Refugi de Baiau - free refuge without a service, but on the spanish side of border.

External Links

NOVATEL - Coaches to Andorra (you can rent a car also)
Andorramania - Tourist information about Andorra.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pirineos: AndorraCustom Objects