Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piva lake1700 m deep Piva Canyon from Zmajeva Greda

If you asking some Montenegrins which canyon is most beautiful and most impressive in Montenegro, he will have really heavy duty to give you proper answer. Most popular is for sure wide know Tara Canyon. After that leads Moraca and Mrtvica canyons, but real knower of the beauty of Montenegro will tell you that Piva Canyon and its river and lake are one of the most beautiful part of nature of that country.

Piva lakePiva Canyon

Piva is for sure one of few most spectacular rivers in Monte Negro. Piva river flows in western part of Montenegro and is placed between the high mountain ranges. Between them is situated the canyon of amazing beauty, over 1000 m deep. Piva creates western border of wider DURMITOR (2523 m) range which also includes Pivska Planina mountain range, placed on the east side of river.

Piva lakeBeautiful blue water of Piva Lake

One of the water sources of Piva river is Durmitor’s river Komarnica, which is placed on the south side, while on the west side of Piva river are placed high Golija (1942 m), Bioc (2397 m) and Maglic (2388 m) mountains. From its source Sinjac it used to flow 33 km towards north untill Scepan Polje. There Piva's waters meet with those of Tara to create Drina river. Between 1967-1975 huge 220 m high dam was build 10 km upstream from Scepan Polje and spectacular 180 m deep Pivsko Jezero lake was born. That dam blocked the nature flow of Piva lake and present a big destruction of the nature's beauty.

Getting There

Piva canyonView above Piva river towards the part of Mt Maglic

Pivsko jezeroPiva Canyon

From Durmitor: Zabljak - Virak - Sedlo - Trsa - Nedajno - Pluzine

From Niksic town: Part of the road from Niksic town towards Scepan Polje border crossing with Bosnia Herzegovina leads through the canyon of Piva, along the Pivsko Jezero lake and later, behind the dam, through the rest of naturally outlook of canyon. This is really beautiful and amazing adventure. Beautiful mountains dominates above the both side the Piva lake. On the beginning of the road you drive high above the lake and you have the privilege to enjoy in the view of Durmitor behind in the bakcground of the lake. At Pluzine town road descends into the Piva valley and continues by the Piva lake. The road continue through many rocky tunnels through the rocks of the canyon, near the lake. Most magnificent part starts behind the dam, through the canyon of untouched wild beauty, where pure clear green and blue Piva river runs deep below impressive road while rocks tower dominate above it.

Piva canyonPiva Canyon

Gateway to Durmitor National Park and Piva Canyon peak is Zabljak (1456 m) town. Information how to get there:

By Plane
~To Beograd (Belgrade, Serbia&Montenegro capital) airport. Than with plane to Podgorica, capital of Montenegro, or with bus or car to Zabljak town.
~To Podgorica airport. Than with bus or car to Zabljak town.

Information about flights find on the sites of JAT Airways, a former Yugoslav airlines, or on Montenegro Airlines.

By Bus
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Zabljak
~Podgorica-Zabljak
~Niksic-Zabljak
~Pljevlja-Zabljak

Buses go to Zabljak from Beograd (Belgrade) twice a day and from Podgorica, Niksic, Pljevlja and Mojkovac several times per day.

By Car
~Beograd (Belgrade)-Zlatibor-Nova Varos-Prijepolje-Pljevlja-Zabljak
~Niksic - Savnik (47km) - Zabljak (37km): 84km; Niksic to Zabljak approach from south.
~Niksic - Savnik (35km) - Zabljak (37km): 72km;
~Podgorica - Niksic (55 km)-Savnik (47 km)-Zabljak (37 km): 139 km; Add this length if you are going to Zabljak from Podgorica via Niksic. Road to Niksic from Podgorica is good.
~Podgorica - Kolasin (71km) - Mojkovac (21km) - Zabljak (67km): 159km; road is good all the way to Zabljak. Behind Podgorica (56m) you go inside Moraca River canyon (one of spectacular Montenegrin canyons). It is up to 1000m deep and has wild sides. That's spectacular drive. After that, from "Djurdjevica Tara" bridge to Zabljak - 23 km.

Than from Zabljak town to Sedlo (1907 m) pass by Zabljak-Virak-Trsa road, 16 km from Zabljak town. From Sedlo pass the path road continue to Dobri Do or finally to Todorov Do cirque.

Red Tape

Piva canyonRocky wilderness of Piva Canyon

No extra fees.

Camping

You can freely camping above the Piva canyon and near the Piva lake and river.

Weather Conditions

The best weather forecast on Internet for DURMITOR and Piva Canyon is VREME YUBC NET web site. You can see 5 days forecast for Durmitor area (Za bljak town), 4-times-daily forecast.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DurmitorCanyons