Platak - through Grlo - Snježnik

Platak - through Grlo - Snježnik

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.44044°N / 14.58401°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The easiest access to Platak is by car using the old Louisiana road Rijeka-Zagreb (not the new motorway). About 2 km above the Kamenjak mountain there is sign post and junction towards Platak and another 8 km of good, asphalted, sloping road which will take us to Platak parking lot near the Sušak Lodge.

Route description

First option is to start at the asphalt road opposite of the Platak mountain hut (1.111 mtrs). Follow the markings and climb to the lower ski station lifts Tešanj and continue right to the forest road, where markings from Sušak mountain hut are coming.

Second option is to start from the big parking lot or from the Sušak hut. From there you have to reach forest road near the Radeševo ski station and continue along this road until the place where markings from Platak hut will join.

Now the path turns immediately on the right through the beech wood forest, than it crosses the road again and finally the road will leads us to a crossing (1.278 mtrs), where on the right path goes to Risnjak and access to the top of the Snježnik ridge, and to the left towards the refuge under the Snježnik peak via through Grlo path.

Our path is the left one - through Grlo ('kroz grlo').

From here you need some 30 min to reach the summit. After few minutes along the forest road the path will become narrow and gradually steeper, but still under the nice beech wood forest. The steepest part starts when you exit the forest on Snježnik W slope right below the hut. From here you can see the summit.

Essential gear

Good hiking shoes and for winter ascents crampons and ice axe can be very useful.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SnježnikRoutes