Playing on R.I.P. (5.2-5.6)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99620°N / 77.2536°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
R.I.P. (5.6)Ramp to access variation
R.I.P. (5.6)-- Upper SectionUpper part
R.I.P.-- Lower SectionLower section
R.I.P. (5.6)-- Lower SectionLower part from above

Overview


R.I.P. is an exciting and challenging climb in the Dihedrals area, and it places one high above the Potomac River. It has two sections, the lower of which is the harder because the rock there is smooth and offers little to grab outside the small crack following the corner that defines that stretch. The upper section is entirely different rock and falls more into the 5.2 range, good for scramblers looking for something stimulating but not prohibitive; this is why I have made this page. In all, the climb is about 55 vertical feet, with upper and lower sections being of about equal length and connected by a short, smooth ramp.

Route Description


Lower Section-- The rock on this portion is extremely slippery because it has been polished by the Potomac River for God only knows how many thousands or millions of years. With a toprope, it really shouldn't be too hard, but an unroped climber faces the likelihood of a fall into the river, and drowning as a result, from a slip.

Connecting Ramp-- The top of the first section meets this ramp, which you then follow up and to the right for a few feet until you reach the base of the upper section of the route.

Upper Section-- Just head straight up, using cracks, hand-sized outcrops, and the walls. Conditions here are 5.4-5.5, and the rock is not the same slippery stone found on the lower half of the climb. Have fun!

VARIATION: Highly recommended for scramblers who want to avoid the slick rock of the lower section but can handle the 5.4ish conditions of the upper section. Downclimb Beginner's Chimney and work a few yards left to the ramp, or use the downstream access point and hike upstream until you see the ramp. Ascend the ramp on either its right or left side (Class 3-4 conditions), and then turn left to face the upper section. Enjoy the climb!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DihedralsTrip Reports