Predigtstuhl

Predigtstuhl

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Park your car (if you have one) at the cable car station in Bad Reichehnall. (You should be able to get there using public transport, check the relevant time tables for available options.) Tracing your steps backward, cross the bridge across the river, back to the main road and turn right (towards the town of Lofer). A public footpath-cum-cycle-way runs along the river bank, parallel with the tarmac road. Follow this path for about 1,5 miles. You will pass a small hydroelectric power station, after which the river widens into an artifical lake. There is a small car park further down the main road, about half a mile from the dam, you need to cross here to the other side of the tarmac. The trail head is clearly sign posted. A small cast iron plaque informs you that it takes 2 and 3/4 hours to get to the top - a somewhat cautious estimate, but it may well take that long, depending on the trail conditions.

Route Description


The trail is clearly maked with red patches of paint on the trees and occasional cast iron plaques, complete with little arrows pointing to the right direction. You start your ascend on a narrow (and somewhat abandoned looking) forest road and take a sharp right turn about 100 meters from the trail head. For the next hour or so, you will be following the narrow winding trail as it swings left and right on the steep hillside. The trail might be a bit overgrown with grass during the summer, but always clearly visible. The more difficult sections have steps, cables and ladders to aid your balance. This section leads through a clear, well maintained forest of mature birch trees, which gives way to coniferious vegetation futher up on the route.

After about a good hour's climb, you reach a forest road. Follow it upwards, to the left. This brings you to a small building, which is the lower end of the ski lift leading to the summit. (Apparently, this is a prime ski area during the winter.) Cross the meadow behind the building - ther are no markers here - and pick up the footpath at the far side. Continue your ascent until you reach a wooden cabin of some sort (probably a skier's hut during the winter) where the trail forks. You need to take the left branch - check the sign posts and follow the one which says "Predigtstuhl".

The path stays at level and crosses the ski lift's clearing. It re-crosses it a few more times (there was dense fog in the area at the time when I did this route so I can't quite remember) before finally linking up with it for the last hundred meters under the summit.

There is a restaurant in the cable car station. (If you bought a return ticket at the bottom for a reasonable sum of 11 euro, you would be treated to a single course meal up here. Why would you buy a return ticket if you wanted to hike up anyway? Single fare is 9 euro, so you don't save any money with it, really.) The downward journey in the historic cable car is well worth it: the cabin looks rickety (it is from the 1930's after all) but should be safe. The service runs every half an hour from 9am till dusk, but check before you start off from the lower station, just in case. (I reckon that they cancel the service in windy weather.)


Essential Gear


Sturdy hiking boots, appropriate clothing (including rain gear - you will be walking in open forest most of the time, where there is little protection from the elements), food, water and common sense. Mobile phones work even at the top and you should definitely bring yours, just in case.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.