Private Property Nonsense, Cambell and Hoosier Hill, Ohio and Indiana, HP # 21-22

Private Property Nonsense, Cambell and Hoosier Hill, Ohio and Indiana, HP # 21-22

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 21, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Industrial Ghostlands of Ohio and Indiana while Highpointing 

In terms of state highpoints, Ohio and Indiana are two of the lamest. Perhaps only rivaled by Rhode Island and Florida. But Ohio was to have sentimental value, as it was my home state. Originally, I was saving Ohio for last, but got too impatient.

And my two young boys wanted to tag along so it would be like all the family high point photos I’ve seen. If we had traveled across the country or if the kids were older, they would have notched a couple by now. But I try to do as many as I can in winter, and often they are insanely quick trips with more travel than anything else—not the best environment for a child.

It took us 2 hours and 36 minutes to get to Hoosier Hill in Indiana, passing Columbus and Dayton. It’s right inside the state line so it makes it extremely accessible for Ohio residents. Quick turn off a country road, park, walk 25 yards and you are there. Midwest farm country boring blah. I can say that ‘cus I’m from here.

Hoosier Hill Glory
Hoosier Hill Glory

The neat thing was going through all the small towns that you’d never, ever, visit. They are too far from major roads and cities, aren’t good cut through routes and have no tourist stops along the way. The ghost towns of the industrial revolution. In Indiana they were called: Middleboro, Whitewater, Bethel, Arba, Spartanburg. In Ohio: Palestine, New Harrison, Gettysburg, Covington, Fletcher, Conover, Lena, Carysville, Rosewood, Quincy and DeGaff.

Even though it was my home state, I was unaware that Ohio’s highpoint had “hours,” as it was located on the campus of the aptly named community college, Hi-Point. Luckily, the man gate to the left of the main entrance was left open so we could legally illegally summit.  

Private Property Nonsense
Private Property Nonsense

No real views and college buildings all around. The highpoint adventure a lot of times has nothing to do with the summit, but everything before and after, the people that you may be fortunate to share a human experience with and see along the way.

I strongly recommend checking out the Ohio Caverns, just 10 minutes southeast of Campbell Hill.

Ohio Caverns
Ohio Caverns

And now, a small rant about highpoints on private land. No one gets to own state highpoints. They are just too significant and too sought after for any one owner. There must always be some kind of path to the summit that is open 24/7/365.

I would recommend getting all your private property summits done ASAP, before some greedy landowner decides they want it all for themselves, which is pretty much the case in Illinois. And we say, “Oh, it’s nice of the owners to allow access,” but what we’re really thinking is, “Ya, thank god you aren’t more of a scumbag than you already are.” 

Yes, I understand there is a concept of private property in the U.S. But we give “ownership” to places like the Grand Canyon to the government so that no one can actually own it—it is for the people, forever.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
McCannster

McCannster - Feb 22, 2016 4:54 pm - Voted 9/10

Fuck em

Agree 100% about your blurb on private property highpoints, especially IL. What gets me is A) they had no idea they bought the highest land in the state (how can you NOT know this??) 10 years ago or whenever it was; B) they get all butt hurt when they realize the land they bought is a highly sought after spot (understandable if they are looking for remote, peace and quiet, but please refer to reason A); and C) during the highpointers convention held nearby where they were invited as special guests, they just spew stupid political drivel during their "speech". Rubs me the wrong way, and gives me no qualms of poaching stuff like that.

Oh, and nice blurb about visiting towns you would otherwise never in a million lifetimes every visit. It's the magic of the journey that makes us do this silly activity. Nice report!

Adam Doc Fox

Adam Doc Fox - Mar 11, 2016 9:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fuck em

Thanks!
Private property will always be an issue and I totally agree that poaching certain peaks is just fine. They leave you no choice.

Scott

Scott - Mar 11, 2016 11:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: F em

A) they had no idea they bought the highest land in the state (how can you NOT know this??) 10 years ago or whenever it was

More than likely they did, but highpointing in flat states has only become recently popular. Before the last maybe 15 years or so, almost no one cared to visit those places.

McCannster

McCannster - Mar 11, 2016 1:13 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: F em

Hi Scott,

You are correct, it seems as if they did know something about buying the highest land in IL judging form this interview,

http://highpointers.org/newsletter/62/wuebbels-interview.shtml

Still, the dialogue and general attitude of these folks in this interview bothers me.

Adam Doc Fox

Adam Doc Fox - Mar 11, 2016 2:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: F em

The key is to look at the two owners. The original owner, Gladys, “wanted the property to be an Illinois landmark- and always to be kept as a nature reserve. Gladys had at one time worked to try to get the state to purchase the property, but they were not interested.” Gladys understood the significance of the highest point of an American state, and wanted to ensure access was granted for all.
The Wuebbells, however, “jumped on the novelty of owning a highpoint.” For themselves. And if you buy a hotel on Bourbon Street, you don’t get to complain about the noise just ‘cus you are unaware of the surroundings. They were quick to restrict access. Why? They claim stealing and harassment, but look at their words: “We just didn't know there was such an animal as a ‘Highpointer.’”
Not to mention this Wuebbells quote: “We are die-hard republicans, with a picture of G.W. hanging in our office!”
Gross.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Campbell HillTrip Reports