Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 20, 2009 9:44 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent, Bob

After 8 years in absence, I finally made it back to Glacier last month. What a treat to return! Thanks for posting this info and the amazing pictures!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 21, 2009 12:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent, Bob

Thanks, CP. I hope you had better weather than I did and enjoyed the park. It's such an amazing place.

I climbed Dragon's Tail with Walt and another guy from SP. Walt talked trash about you almost the whole time! Actually, he recounted some good times you guys have had around Sedona and told about the restraint you guys try to show around idiots. We had to use the same restraint on the trail back from the climb.

cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 21, 2009 2:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Excellent, Bob

Yeah, Walt and I have definitely enjoyed some good times together over the last few years...going back to our first climb together in Red Rock. Good times!

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Enough already!

Another great route Bob. The photos are great. I should have done this one with you instead!

A great addition to SP and another route demystified.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 21, 2009 12:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Enough already!

I wish you had been with me. I climbed the Notch on Friday and then did the Wall traverse. The weather went to crap about halfway along the goat trail. Near the north end, the fog and my inexperience on the route prevented me from finding the right way down, and after spending about an hour repeatedly ending up at awful cliffs, I found another way down. On Monday, though, I went back the other way and found the correct route on the north end.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 21, 2009 12:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Glacier is yours!

They cost only $100. Cash or postal money order, please.

Thanks for checking out the page!

Baarb

Baarb - Aug 22, 2009 8:40 am - Hasn't voted

That is...

...the craziest thing I have ever seen. It looks more death defying that climbing one of the notorious 8000m peaks where at least you have crampons! Congratulations and thanks for the page!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 22, 2009 10:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: That is...

It's not too bad as long as you look where you're going! Thanks for visiting the page!

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Aug 23, 2009 2:20 am - Voted 10/10

WHAT A TREAT....

...to see these mountains, from this unforgettable perspective, in other pictures than my own! Sounds like you were as impressed by these mountains, this trek, as was I. "Stunning" doesn't begin to cover the reality of it all...!

Thanks for the effort on the route, too—I'll put a much-needed link in the appropriate section on the GNP page.

What a treat, indeed! Thanks, Bob!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Aug 23, 2009 10:35 am - Voted 10/10

Great Page-Great Scenery

Bob,
As always, another great page. Sounds like an incredible route! Glad you made it back safe. That scenery is just amazing. I was a bit smitten by the Bells, but photos like this will keep me thinking about getting farther north!

Thanks for sharing.
Mark

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Page-Great Scenery

The Bells are beauties, Mark. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the Elks. I think only the San Juans compete with them in CO for great scenery.

Thanks for checking out the page. Glacier will be there when you're ready!

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Aug 24, 2009 8:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Best

route page I've seen in a while. Excellent work, Bob, on a route that continues to confound folks. Hopefully this page clarifies some of the complexities.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 25, 2009 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Best

Thank you very much, Aaron; that means a lot coming from someone who puts as much work into his route pages as you do.

Interesting that you mention "confounding"-- the route confounded me in two sections. The second time, with bad weather moving in, I had to find an alternative way down, and fast. That was going south to north instead of per the Edwards description. Three days later, I went back the other way and solved the "problem," which enabled me to make this page.

Thank you also for two other things-- the recent additions to the La Platas and to Ruby. Both are excellent. When I get the chance, I will rework Ruby a little in the Routes section to reflect your addition. In fact, it may make more sense to change that part to a Routes Overview and make individual detailed pages for the routes already described there.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Aug 25, 2009 6:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Best

Your idea on the route pages: Agreed! Thanks for the kind words.

distressbark

distressbark - Oct 14, 2009 11:21 am - Voted 10/10

missed out :(

really wanted to hit up this hike this summer, but never was able... love the page though. looking forward to future opportunities to attempt this amazing route!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Oct 15, 2009 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: missed out :(

You'll get your shot, I'm sure. And you'll love it. I hope the page can be helpful.

samh

samh - Nov 30, 2009 6:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Finally

Bob, this route has been sorely awaited by me on Summit Post. I wanted to build it myself but didn't take photos when I did the route so had nothing to bulk it out with. Thank you so much for creating it.

- Sam

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 1, 2009 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Finally

Thanks, Sam. I'm glad you like the page.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 4, 2009 1:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Finally

Yeah, my first time was going north, too, and I lost the route as well. Crappy weather came in to make visibility poor. After several failed attempts to find the correct route, all ending in atrocious cliffs, I relocated a route I had spotted to take me down to Ptarmigan Lake and bailed out that way. A few days later, I went back, this time to the tunnel, and "completed" the route.

I wrote a TR on it here: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/549072/how-the-ptarmigan-wall-traverse-treated-a-case-of-hubris.html

samh

samh - Dec 12, 2009 10:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Finally

Ahhh, thanks for pointing this trip report out, Bob. A wonderful read. From the excitement to the humbling - all great stuff.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'Ptarmigan Wall Goat Trail' main page