Punta Cupetti e Punta Su Pizzu crossing

Punta Cupetti e Punta Su Pizzu crossing

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.56716°N / 9.64639°E
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: EE
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Punta Cupetti e Punta Su Pizzu crossing 

Monte Albo is an elongated limestone massif with a dolomitic appearance, characteristic for the white color of its rock, which extends for approximately 17 km in a NE-SW direction, between the villages of Lula and Siniscola. From the highest peaks of the massif, such as Punta Catirina and Turuddò (both 1127 metres high), and also from Punta Cupetti (1029 m) you dominate the landscape of the Baronie and northern Barbagia, the Tirrenian sea of the Eastern coast up to the island of Tavolara. Punta Su Pizzu is a minor but worthy peak that can be reached with a very short digression along the climb to Punta Cupetti. The ascent to these two peaks is an excursion with moderate altitude difference but an intense experience for the breathtaking views and secrets that this place contains, rich in testimonies of past life in what remains of the "cuiles anticos" (ancient sheepfolds).

S'Iscala e su Tassu, Punta Cupetti
S'Iscala e su Tassu, Punta Cupetti
Punta Cupetti, the descent across S'Iscala Entosa
Punta Cupetti, the descent across S'Iscala Entosa

Getting There

From Siniscola take the S.P. 3 to Lode'/Località Sant'Anna and reach the locality S'Ulidone, where you leave your car.

Route Description

Punta Su Pizzu and Punta Cupetti crossing

Difficulty: EE
Difference in level: 250 m 
Starting point: locality S'Ulidone parking lot 

A fine and worthwhile itinerary, leading to a couple of panoramic summits 

From the car park continue on foot on the dirt road until the Forest Authority gate. After passing the gate, the path called "S'Iscala e su Tassu" begins immediately on the right to reach Punta Cupetti. Nearby there is also the source of Su Tassu, so named due to the presence of a specimen of yew tree. The route is uphill but not too steep and it's extremely characteristic with the typical karst environment.

 

S'Iscala e su Tassu
S'Iscala e su Tassu
The fork on Sas Vinizolas plateau
The fork on Sas Vinizolas plateau

 

 

 

 

The path will take us at first to Punta Pizzu on the East side of the mountain and then to Punta Cupetti on the opposite side. To get to the crossroads between these two peaks, as told, we will have to overcome the "S'Iscala e su Tassu" path with the staircase which facilitates the climb towards the Sas Vinizolas plateau.

 

 

Once out on the karst plateau you reach the crossroads, where Punta Su Pizzu is on the left and Punta Cupetti is far on the right. We start with the left aiming for the summit with the clearly visible cross at the top, Punta Su Pizzu 980 m. From here the view is incredible over the entire North-East coast. 

 

Punta Su Pizzu
Punta Su Pizzu
Punta Su Pizzu
Punta Su Pizzu

 

 

 

 

 

You retrace your steps and cross the plateau in a South-West direction, reaching a magnificent sheepfold at the base of the final climb towards Punta Cupetti.

 

 

 

 

 

Beautiful old sheepfold near Punta Cupetti
Beautiful old sheepfold near Punta Cupetti
Punta Cupetti, the descent across S'Iscala Entosa
Punta Cupetti, the descent across S'Iscala Entosa

 

A final uphill stretch takes us to the magnificent summit of Punta Cupetti 1029 m. From the top you can admire again the Eastern coast of Sardinia, from Tavolara to Capo di Monte Santo in the Baunei area, and to the West the wild mountains of Buddusò, Alà and Pattada. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Crag along the  descent across S'Iscala Entosa
Crag along the descent across S'Iscala Entosa

Downhill we will travel along the beautiful terrain of S'Iscala Entosa, equally wild and panoramic. You reach Funtana S'Adde downhill and following the road SP 3 in a Northerly direction for a while you return to the starting car park.

Atrval near  Funtana S'Adde
Arrival near Funtana S'Adde
Punta Cupetti, the arrival at Funtana S'Adde
Punta Cupetti, the arrival at Funtana S'Adde

Essential Gear

Normal hiking equipment and clothing

Red tape

No fees no permits required

Nature

From the karst fields of Punta Cupetti, on clear days you can observe the island of Tavolara, the artificial lake of Posada, the Tyrrenian sea and the town of Siniscola. On the plateau there are ancient sheepfolds and  "Su Pinnatu", a traditional home of Sardinian shepherds. On the limestone walls you can see various endemic rock plants including, very rare in Sardinia, Saxifraga lingulata subsp. australis. Among the various species of animals you can observe the common raven and the red-billed chough which nests on Monte Albo.

When to climb

The best season are Spring and Fall. 

Accomodation

B&B and hotels in Siniscola and Lula

Meteo

Meteoblue Sardinia

Meteo Arpa Sardegna

Guidebooks and maps

Sardinia guidebook

 

 

 

- Sardegna - Maurizio Oviglia Guida dei Monti d'Italia  Club Alpino Italiano - Touring Club Italiano 1997 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.