Ragged Edges, 5.8, 2 Pitches

Ragged Edges, 5.8, 2 Pitches

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.15611°N / 115.49667°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Ragged Edges, 5.8

Ragged Edges draws three stars from Jerry Handren in his (what I consider the best guide book for Red Rocks) guide book, “Red Rocks, a Climbers Guide.” I consider this short two pitch varnished crack the quintessential starter lead for the grade at Red Rocks. Ragged Edges has become so pronounced that an entire wall at Willow Springs has been named Ragged Edges Area and includes some 23 published single and double pitch routes. Joe Herbst and Jeff Lansing established this obvious line during the awakening decade at Red Rocks, the 70’s. Ragged Edges is a fantastic crack running the full height of the wall at Willow Springs. It is just to the left of another classic in this area, Chicken Eruptus, a 5.10b face climb.
Ragged Edges, 5.8

Exit the Red Rocks loop road for Willow Springs at 7.3 miles. Pull out at either one of the first two parking areas. In either case, a trail will head for the Hidden Falls area. Hidden Falls is a popular hiking destination at Red Rocks. The Ragged Edges wall is a nicely black varnished wall to the right of this area. From either well marked trail, manever over to the base of the wall. The route Ragged Edges runs right up the center of the buttress of this wall.

Route Description

190’+/-, 2 Pitches, 5.8

1st Pitch- 50’- 5.7/ Start up the pleasant hand crack and belay at a fixed anchor to the left. (photo)

2nd Pitch- 140’- 5.8/ A fun pitch. Continue up the crack as it widens, stemming when it is too wide to fist jam. Easy jug holds give you relief from the crack whenever you need it. The nice and long crack pitch starts to level out towards the top where you can belay at a tree.

Descent

Just walk off to climbers right and return to the base of the wall for more climbing.

Essential Gear

Single 60m rope. If you are a lead beginner and want to protect it well, you can bring a #5 and #6 if you want. Otherwise, single to 4” with doubles 2”-4”. A dozen draws or slings. Most of this area is northeast facing, so dress accordingly depending on what time of year you are visiting.

External Links

  • Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, BLM


  • Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association


  • DowClimbing.Com
  • Red Rocks


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.