Rakaposhi Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Sep 17, 2007 4:47 am - Hasn't voted

Ghulmet

"North Ridge (or North Spur) - Ascends between the Gulmit and Pisan glaciers around 6000m."

Should be Ghulmet. The Gulmit is over the other side of the Hunza Valley, east of Shispar.

This spelling error undoubtedly renders the whole page useless and you'll simply have to do it all over again.

:-D

BigLee

BigLee - Sep 17, 2007 11:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ghulmet

Yep, Gulmit would be a bad choice for base camp.

TvdB

TvdB - May 16, 2021 4:33 am - Voted 10/10

Dutch expedition 1986

Great to see the climbing history of this fantastic mountain. You did a very good job.
I would like to comment on the information about the Netherlands team.
In the text on NW-ridge, the year of the expedition should be 1986 (it is correct in the table). The team also included Robert Eckhardt and the correct first name of other mentioned member is Ton van den Boogaard (see initials of this post :-) ).
I'm not aware of a Japanese group on NW-ridge in 1986 as mentioned in the table. Definitely, there were no other climbers in July-August 1986 from Biro Glacier Base Camp.

Magiosa

Magiosa - Mar 10, 2024 4:41 am - Hasn't voted

Magiosa

It is true that Rakapoši is said to be the hill with the highest relative height in the world. In fact, there is another hill whose relative height is 76 meters higher.
It is Annapurna Fang, 7647 meters high. The lowest height in the valley that can be continuously skied (theoretically) is the elevation of 1623 meters in the Ghalemch Khola stream valley on the west side of the hill. That is a relative height of 6024 meters.
In contrast, the lowest height that can be reached by continuous skiing from Radapoš (7788 m) is 1840 meters. This elevation is located at the mouth of the Yal Stream into the Hunza River. This creates a relative height of 5948 meters.
However, the relative height of Rakaposhi is more impressive as it can be observed quite easily from the causeway that connects the village of Mayoon with the village of Khanabad. In contrast, the relative height of Annapurna Fang can be observed only from a single point and that is from the trail that starts from the village of Narchyang and after 740 meters in a northerly direction reaches the ridge at an elevation of 1930 meters, from which this impressive height can be observed in all its vertical beauty. (Observability of the vertical height in its entire length is a condition for the legitimacy of its recognition).
Also for this reason, Rakapoši and not Annapurna Fang is given as the place with the highest relative height.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Rakaposhi' main page