Riedbergalm

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.93851°N / 11.50166°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The somewhat exposed west ridge above Schloßtal ValleyAlong the Riedbergalm Route looking back

The normal route to Weißspitze is a straightforward ascent of its western slopes. The whole route except for the topmost 100m is a walk on grass, along the Riedbergalm pasture. In several places halfway up the path gets close and somewhat leans over the Schloßberg Valley, a narrow valley which separates Weißspitze from neighbouring Hühnerspiel. At all times the summit can be seen during the hike though the route itself is often hidden from view. Due to the lack of orientation marks the route can get dangerous in foggy weather.

Getting There

Hühnerspiel (2746m)Hühnerspiel seen from the path intersection beneath Weißspitze

See the Getting There information on the main page. The most reasonable starting point is Brandner Alm, which can be reached from Wiesen / Prati at the entry of Pfitsch Valley / Val di Vizze. The asphalt road ends at Braunhof, the rmainder is a potholed mountain road.

Route Description

Stubai Alps through the cloudsSeen through the fog: Stubai Alps

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1818m
      - Summit altitude: 2714m
      - Prevailing exposure: W
      - Type: 3 h over marked paths
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 1000m elevation gain
  • Power: 1 - long but easy slope
  • Psyche: 1 - 2 easy with a short exposed section on the summit block
  • Orientation: 1 - easy (without fog)

    From Brandner Alm follow the dirt road further on. It turns west and soon turns a corner at Riedbergalm. Follow the signs, which lead straight towards the mountain. The trail starts a bit to the north of the Riedbergalm Cabin. You need to pass it to get to the other side. Even at this place the Weißspitze summit can be clearly seen. Just follow the well trodden path up the mountain.

    At about half the elevation the path heads left (north) towards the edge of the Sloßtal Valley. IIt follows the dropoff-line for quite a while, then turns south again. A little later, at an intersection, a trail heads north-east in direction of Hühnerspiel (rather the saddle between Hühnerspiel and Weißspitze). Take the right branch, which heads for the summit block.

    At the base of the summit block the path turns towards the left (northern) base and starts climbing through the north face. Again, halfway up - it crosses over to the south side, then back onto the middle of the west ridge. The summit cross is not located at the highest point of the mountain but several steps lower, in order to be seen from the town of Sterzing / Vipiteno below.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.