Robinson Variation

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.59390°N / 111.7203°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The Robinson Variation uses the Broad's Fork approach for the first 2 miles to the meadow at 8,200 ft. Instead of following the trail and crossing to the left side of the valley, contour around the knoll in the meadow. Contour, at first, on the east side of the knoll and then around to the south side of the knoll. A faint trail and sporatic cairns can be spotted periodically to reach the east-facing chute.

Route Description

From 8,200 ft in the meadow aim for the east-facing chute. Boulder hop to the base of the chute and then climb steeply to the ridge up a mixture of rock slabs and talus. Upon reaching the ridge Ferguson Canyon and Deaf Smith canyon come into view below and to the west. Turn south and follow the ridge south. Scrambling is required and there is some exposure on both sides of the ridge. Careful routefinding keeps the scramble mostly at class 3 with a class 4 move required periodically. Scramble over one minor summit and continue south. Twin Peaks are in view the entire scramble. Upon reaching the base of east Twin Peak, work toward the east side of the ridge. A faint trail continues up the east side of the ridge to the summit of east Twin Peak.

Essential Gear

In early season, an ice axe and crampons may be required up the chute from the meadows to the ridge. Avalanche danger should be assessed before ascending the chute in early season.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
runbyu1

runbyu1 - Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Description

There is now a very clear trail cutoff for the Robinson route. However, my GPS put the breakoff at around the 2 1/4 mile mark and the Elevation at just under 8200 (8180 ft).

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Aug 3, 2015 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Additional route info

It's tempting to aim for the ridge towards the south, but the easiest way is to head for the lowest spot on the ridge. On Saturday I made the mistake of heading way south. Access to the ridge was not possible for a long way, but I just kept following relatively easy slopes hoping for a break. At around 10,500 feet I hit a massive drop off - game over.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.