Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 15, 2010 9:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Really good page but...

You need to change this to a route page. This is a great contribution and I will be glad to link it to the Charon's Garden page, but it is not for a particular rock or mountain i.e. Elk Mountain. You also ought to talk to Mark Doiron about getting a topo for this area so you can give precise locations for the canyon, entrance and exit. Really cool stuff though. We need more Oklahoma contributions!

bscharlie

bscharlie - Mar 15, 2010 11:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Really good page but...

Thanks. I really haven't used SP much at all, but I'm figuring it out. I was unsure as what I should classify this page as. A route makes alot more sense.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 17, 2010 11:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Really good page but...

I am glad you are contributing. There is definitely a need for more stuff in Oklahoma! By the way, you may want to attach this page to the Elk Mountain page. I can tell you how, if needed.

splandswest

splandswest - Mar 15, 2010 9:37 pm - Voted 10/10

In reference to Bubba's comment...

you might want to do what we talked about first. Change the title to an Elk Mountain page with Rock Rooms in (----). I see that you figured it out. I gave you a 9 because a couple of your pics were a little fuzzy..... LOL.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Mar 15, 2010 10:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: In reference to Bubba's comment...

This still does not change the essential issue, which is that the page describes a route. It even states "This is a very neat route..." Also, I would not down-vote the page, since even a 9/10 will lower its score significantly. Besides, dark conditions are tough to shoot and you are bound to get some fuzzy images.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Mar 17, 2010 4:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Contribution!

Splandswest was just PM'ing me the other day for info on finding the Rock Rooms. Thanks so much for making up this page and a really neat feature in WMWR. If I were to e-mail you an unmarked copy of this map ... http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/original/398280.jpg ... would you be able to mark the key locations on it and add it to the page? Lat-long coordinates of the entrance might also be very helpful. --mark d.

bscharlie

bscharlie - Mar 20, 2010 3:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Contribution!

I can get pretty close. To mark the exact location I may have to go back to the location and do some calculations.

lutherjr - Dec 7, 2010 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Chains

NO,NO,NO!!! You don't have to get in the rock rooms from the chains. In fact, why would you trust those chains?

I went through the rock rooms on two occasions in the last month. There is a small entrance hole before you get to the chains. Then you climb down into a couple of other holes before you get to the big room under the chains. You don't even need a rope, although one might come in handy.











lutherjr - Dec 7, 2010 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Mark

It would be almost impossible to mark the exact location on map. It is among a maze of boulders. I've been there three times and I would still have trouble finding it again. That's the beauty of the whole thing.

inkbillfr

inkbillfr - Mar 29, 2011 12:07 pm - Hasn't voted

GPS coordinates to entrance

I agree with lutherjr. By descending down the small hole right before the chains, no rope is needed to access the Rock Rooms. You will need a headlamp. Sometimes roosting bats can be seen. Re the chains: Never blindly trust someone else's old hardware. The chains were initially put up years ago following the tragic death of Dr. Phillip Mitchell. While hiking alone, he fell and died there in 1992. I don't know if anyone maintains or checks the chains. The Ranger HQ folks call this area of Elk Mountain Treasure Cove. The GPS coordinates to the entrance of the Rock Rooms are: N34.43.384 W98.43.502

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Rock Rooms on Elk Mountain' main page