Rogers Peak - south approach

Rogers Peak - south approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.66470°N / 123.5472°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

An easy hike to a forested summit awaits you in Tillamook State Forest. The hardest part is making sure you get on the correct roads and it is wise to avoid this area during the week as active logging takes place in this forest.
When I was there, logging activity had occurred along the road about a mile from the gate and there was debris all over the road. I would not want to meet a logging truck on the road as it comes up from the bridge in the valley below. Also, this road was designated by a sign that it was "Gilmore Road"


Getting There

See the front page for directions from Portland. Once you get to the turn off for Jones Creek Park, the North Fork road, between mileposts 22 and 23, this will help you get there:

Just a bit beyond Lees Camp, and between mileposts 22 and 23 watch for the road also known as the North Fork Road going north to Jones Creek Park (day use area). Turn right, go across a bridge and you'll pass the Jones Creek Park on your left. Take the road going right and continue north on it for several miles as the road stays on the west side of the river until you come to this junction where you take the left fork. The road gets a bit rougher but is still doable in a 2WD vehicle. Continue on this road until the next junction, which crosses the river on a bridge and heads uphill. I believe this road was also called Gilmore and after crossing the bridge it goes to work heading uphill. Follow this road to a gate and park back from the gate.
Rogers PeakDennis went a different way.
It is a trick to turn around but that is best done right near the gate. We parked about 250 feet downhill from the gate along the side of the road. I would recommend that you take the coordinates of Rogers Peak and a map along with you. The road goes up past the gate and forks, take the right fork and follow it until you get close to the peak (you can't see it due to the forest) We found a use trail (an old road, mostly grownover) from one of the switchbacks that led to the peak but again, I can't say for sure where that trail took off from the road. Keep your eyes open and use your map and GPS to aid you. From where we parked, it was about 3 1/2 miles round trip and about 1100 feet of elevation gain. The summit has a large rock (see pic) and when you find that, you're there. Go back the way you came.

Route Description

From the gate to the summit, figure on less than two miles each way with an elevation gain of just over 1000 feet. Most of this is a road walk but the distance can be lessened if you find the old ATV road, now overgrown and basically a trail. Easy to miss so you need to pay attention and keep an eye open for it. A few rocks were placed just off of the road to indicate where it is but most likely those rocks are long gone. If you use a map and pre set GPS coordinates, as we did, you will find it much easier to get this summit.
I have attached the following map as a rough guide. Topozone is pretty accurate on this one but new logging roads could change the terrain a bit so again, pre set GPS coordinates would be a nice help:


Essential Gear

The usual common sense gear. Be sure to GPS the location of your vehicle to aid you in your return should you encounter fog or rain and this could disorient you. Raingear, warm clothes and water would be appropriate most of the year. It is possible to do a long snowshoe hike during the winter but perhaps more information on that possibility would be obtainable from the Tillamook State forest office (noted on the front page).

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.