Route 3: Squaw Peak Overlook Approach

Route 3: Squaw Peak Overlook Approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.28280°N / 111.61672°W
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the longer, but more beautiful and fun route that leaves from the Squaw Peak overlook parking lot.

Getting There

From Provo Canyon, take Squaw Peak road about 4 miles to the split and take the right fork 1/4 mile to Squaw Peak overlook 
Split in Squaw Peak Road
Squaw Peak Road Split - Go right to the overlook!

Route Description

About 2 miles and 1400 feet of elevation gain to the top.  
When the road splits at the top of Squaw Peak road, take the right fork going up to the Squaw Peak overlook rather than left to Hope Campground. This is a much longer approach but still totally doable and definitely more beautiful, especially at Sunset. There is a trail that heads south from the overlook parking lot which goes all the way to an intersection with the dirt Squaw Peak road (Referred to here as the Sunset Overlook) on the Northeast side of Buffalo Mountain. From here, you can either take the road (long), or take the trail that heads up south (along the back/east side of the mountain) from Sunset Overlook which shortcuts to the T intersection on the Southeast side of the mountain. Once you hit the T intersection on the Southeast side of the mountain, take a right (North) and head .2 miles up to the summit.
 
Near the T Intersection
View from near the T intersection down in to Rock Canyon---Y Mountain in the center, and Squaw Peak on the far right


External Links




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.