Route from Val dei Musi

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.32700°N / 13.29300°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Ruscie


The normal routes to the summits of the Julian prealps are often long and not much frequented, but this one is probably the hardest and the most strenuous of all. The green southern slopes of Monte Musi are in some parts so steep that even well fit hikers can find the path too hard.
But all this great effort is well rewarded: going up to this lonely summit you will find a magic atmosphere, an extremely wild environment and fantastic views of the green valleys of the Julian Prealps.
This is an atypical normal route, where the difficulties are not in the passages on the rock but in the exposure and in the extreme steepness of some sections ( although secured in some parts ). It is anyhow indicated only for well fit and very expert hikers. The descent also shouldn’t be underestimated because in some parts the steep path can be quite slippery.
Monte PostouciccoMonte Postoucicco

In the hot summer days of July or august this path can be really too hard ( every step the summit looks more far … ) so the best months to climb this mountain are May-June ( when you’ll find wonderful alpine flowers in bloom ) or October -November ( when it’s easier to meet wild animals like roe-deers or chamois and the sky is usually more clear). Elevation gain around 1200 m. Time required 6/7 hours.
Cime del Monte MusiThe gully of the creek Zalodra




As said in the overview section it rains a lot in this area and this route can be very dangerous in wet conditions, so be sure to choose a nice day and if the weather turns bad it’s better to give up.

Route description

Monte Musi

Take the road that goes from Tarcento to Uccea and to the border between Italy and Slovenia. A couple of km after the restaurant “Alle Sorgenti” you will see a cart-track on your left and some indications for the path n°737 to Bivacco Dino Brollo/Monte Musi. The first part of the path crosses the riverbed of the river Mea and then goes up moderately steep crossing the creek Tapotamor reaching the south shoulder of Monte Tamor ( 1152 m ), that in spring is full of colourful flowers. After a small ravine the path turns west towards the very dark and scary gully of the creek Zalodra ( short secured section ). From this point the ascent starts to become very hard, on a very steep grassy slope. After a couple of hours you’ll reach the eastern shoulder of Monte Ruscie ( 1612 m ) where the whole eastern ridge of the Musi appears in all its beauty. From there after a few minutes you’ll see the red Bivacco Dino Brollo, where you can rest for a while admiring the nice panorama. The last part is the more demanding, although there aren’t real alpinistic difficulties. It’s a wonderful ride on the very sharp green crest of the mountain that requires caution even if it’s partly secured in the most exposed sections ( this part can actually be considered a mini-ferrata of medium difficulty ). After 1 hour or so you will reach the very panoramic summit of Monte Musi ( 1866 m ). Same path for the descent, which is actually the most risky part, especially the very steep crest.
If you have two cars you can park one of them in Sella Carnizza and go down through the saddle between Monte Musi and Viliki Rop using the other path described in the routes section, which is shorter ( but more demanding ) than the path used for the ascent.

Essential Gear

No particular gear is required, but an helmet and a ferrata set ( or a short rope ) can be useful for less experienced people.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.