Ruins of Şoimoş/Solymos castle
The ruins of the castle, whose name means falcon in Hungarian, are situated on a hill by the Mureş/Maros river, just East from the town of Lipova/Lippa.
The first fortification was erected here in the 13th century to protect the important trade (and military) route leading along the narrow river valley. Later it also gained importance for being on the treshold of the Ottoman and Christian territories. It has been finally abandoned in 1688, after having been retaken from the Ottoman forces.
(Zarand/Zaránd Mountains, 26/Jul/2009)