Ruta del Copete (Normal)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 25.56670°N / 100.4167°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical rock climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.5
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the park`s entrance one can take the trails to the Meseta de Chipinque known as 1, 2 and 3 (in succesion) wich are now mostly wooden steps, and then take El Empalme trail (actually a dirt road) southeast for about 3.5 km to the Copete de las Aguilas trailhaed just before Puerto del Aire.
Another way is by taking the Vereda del Chile wich starts about 1/2 km past the park`s entrance, this one doesn`t have any stairs and is more scenic, hike up for about 2km to the detour towards El Empalme (up) and then follow this one for 2km to the Copete de las Aguilas trailhead just past a water fountain by a bulletin board and just before reaching Puerto del Aire.

Route Description


This is the only route leading to Copete de las Aguilas. At the last sharp curve before reaching Puerto del Aire the Ruta del Copete starts to the right (up) unmarked but well worn, climbing on gentle slopes to the camino del Epasote and continuing up past the Copete de las Aguilas sign on a winding trail with incresingly steep slopes, after about an hour the steepnes decreases and the trail traverses horizontally and across 3 gullies, then it climbs a litlle more to the class 4 section, then reaching the free climbs section wich includes at least two 5.5 or better moves due to the exposure; after that there are a few more class 4 moves on the way before reaching the rocky summit ridge for the final 25 meters to the true summit.

Essential Gear


Though is technical, the 5.3 section can be done without any gear, but some people use a 20m rope with a harness, carabiner, and rappel device.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.