Ruta Oeste - Potosì - Western

Ruta Oeste - Potosì - Western

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 24.53000°N / 100.13°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Check the Getting There section for the approach to the village of El Potosì.

Route Description


From the plaza at the village of El Potosî, go north on the wide street that leads to the elementary school, turn right (east) behind the school and leave your vehicle there.
Hike east a few blocks to the edge of the town and then follow the trail on the top of a water dike that crosses the little creek just ahead, this becomes the trail and it goes up along the creek on it`s right (south) side on gentle slopes for about 1.5 to 2 miles where the trail steepens and starts climbing the first big hill winding through the desert scrub.
About an hour later the trail reaches a connecting ridge to the next big hill, and keeps heading on up this rocky hillside winding for another 50 minutes or so (3 miles) then reaching a grassy plateau mostly covered with corn fields. The trail keeps going between the fields on the lowest point of the plateau that downslopes slightly towards a wide valley to the east surrounded by hills at the edge of the pine forest; keep hiking along the bottom of the hillside on the right (south) surrounding the corn fields to the southermost point where the trail can be picked up again next to a small concrete water receptacle. From here the trail climbs again, now with the summit in full view. Once in the pine forest the trail joins a logging road and follows it for half a mile to a flat grassy area where a small hut is located, you can camp here.
Keep hiking south to the end of the grassy area then turn east and up for the final stretch wich has the last 250 meters of elevation gain very steep at times and goes up just to the right (south) of a line of bushy pines coming down from the true summit marked by a metal cross.
The hike takes fron 5 to 7 hours with a day pack.

Essential Gear


Crampons and an ice axe might be needed in snowy conditions.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.