Sajama Fun Facts

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 18.09394°S / 68.88607°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 6, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Sajama Fun Facts

Random facts about my Sajama summit.  I summited in October 2014.  Its a long drive from La Paz! (7 hours I think)  I used Altitud6000 in La Paz.  The road ends at the base of the mountain, inside the national park.  There is a small town nearby where we got 2 porters and a donkey.  We walked for 2 hours and camped in a valley near the base.  There were outdoor "bathrooms", basically holes in the ground, but better than nothing.  The next day, is a long hike to high camp.  No crampons and the porters take good care of the bags.  High camp is windy and cold, go figure :/  We left at 1am and hiked to sunrise.  The snow was horrible.  October is too late to hike Sajama.  Stay within the season.  That said, we made it.  There are a couple technical sections on this mountain, where we used fixed anchors.  Also, the penitentes suck!  Very hard to hike around them.  But the top is amazing, and big and flat.  They played a soccer game up there to protest FIFA's decision to remove Bolivia from games due to altitude.  After you hike down, you MUST hike to the hot springs.  Its a long slog, but worth it 100%.  We hiked from basecamp for a couple of hours to the springs, drank cold water and relaxed for a day.  Probably my favorite part of the expedition!  There is magical mud in the springs that you put on your face that makes you look like a super model.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SajamaTrip Reports