Sandthrax-Chasm of Doom

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.01960°N / 110.1559°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 28, 2001
Commentary:

Some of the most difficult climbing anywhere can be found in the slot canyons of the Colorado Plateau. The canyon featured in the story requires climbing with little or no protection at 5.10 in difficulty. Here is the story of the first attempt of Santhrax-The Chasm of Doom by Shane Burrows and Hank Moon, two of my climbing partners, and Chris R. All three are very experienced canyoneers and climbers, and Hank Moon espeicially is one of the better climbers I know (refered to by some crowds as a Rope-Gun). He helped Shane and I complete another nearby canyon that required some very difficult rock-climbing. I don't know Chris, but have heard some very nice words concerning his skills. The difficulty of the climbing in Sandthrax caused the party to be trapped and required a very hairy escape.

Santhrax is located just to the south of Clearwater Canyon. I have opted not to include Sandthrax-The Chasm of Doom or nearby canyons as a submission because of some contoversy of the appropriate-ness (is this a word?) of adding canyon-type climbing areas (canyoneering routes) to the SP. Since I have opted not to include any more canyon-type climbing areas as submissions to the SP, interested members can email me for more information and beta. If you want a partner to do some of these canyons, and you have advanced rock-climbing skills, feel free to email me as well. I will post the TR here, on the Clearwater Canyon page, since the two canyons are very close, for your enjoyment, and to hopefully generate some interest in such trips.

Enjoy!!!


SANDTHRAX CANYON-THE CHASM OF DOOM

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 20, 2005 4:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Thanks for sharing that link, Scott. A good read.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1