Sawtooth Ridge via Howlock Mntn Trail

Sawtooth Ridge via Howlock Mntn Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.19250°N / 122.0386°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page for directions to the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead, take the Howlock Mountain trail east through a tunnel under Highway 138 and continue 1.1 miles to a junction with the Spruce Ridge Trail. Stay left here on Howlock Mountain Trail for another 2.4 miles just past Timothy Meadows to a junction with the Thielsen Creek Trail. Do NOT take this trail! Stay on HMT left another 3.5 miles to where the trail ends at a junction with the Pacific Crest Trail. Turn right and go maybe 100 yards to an open clearing where you can see the saddle ahead to aim for . Head due east (left off the PCT as you travel south) for the saddle cross country. Gain the saddle and walk the ridge left (north).

The ridge forms a "Y" here. Left ridge heads up to the pinnacle formation which you can scramble up the southwest side in a shallow gully (be careful-very loose and crappy plates) or you can also go to the northwest side of the pinnacle via the south and then west sides. SP'er cjwhat says the northwest side is better that the south/southwest side although still loose. Right ridge goes to the higher east summit and it achieved by scrambling up the ridge. Also LOOSE rock at the summit. Be careful!

Descend the same route. Total length of this route is about 15.5 miles round trip with 2700 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

None needed but take plenty of water, especially late in the season.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.