SE Ridge from the Notch Mtn Trail

SE Ridge from the Notch Mtn Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.70700°N / 110.912°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

This access route to the peak is from the Bald Mountain Trailhead. This signed trailhead is located off Highway 150 29 miles east and north of Kamas or 49 miles south of Evanston. There is a sign that marks the trailhead.

I m experimenting with...Yellow = SW Ridge



Route Description

This peak is for experienced scramblers. This is the easiest route to the summit of Reids Peak.

From the trailhead, take the trail to the west which is posted for Notch Lake (the other trail leads to the summit of Bald Mountain). Follow the trail for about a mile from the trailhead until the trail curves around Bald Mountain. The objective is to reach the pass between Bald Mountain and Reids Peak. Head cross-country to the pass from anywhere between here (the curve in the trail) and Notch Lake. A map and compass will come in handy. There is not an easy way to describe this route to the pass; just head in the direction of the pass via any convenient route. Once the base of the pass is reached, scramble up the very steep slope that is covered with stunted trees to the pass. After taking a well deserved rest here, scramble up the spectacular ridge northwest to the summit. There are some small cliffs to skirt or climb over, but any experienced scrambler should be able to handle it. There is a summit register to record your thoughts in. Enjoy the views of the countless lakes, and meadows, the Wasatch Range, most of the peaks in the Western Uintas, and the High Uintas Wilderness Area.

Note: Bald Mountain can also be climbed from the pass mentioned above. Climb south from the pass along the ridge to the summit.

Red = Notch Mountain Trail-SW...Red = Notch Mountain Trail-SW Route

Essential Gear

Bring a good pair of boots, a map and a compass, and all the other usual gear. Bring an ice axe before July.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.