Sentry Trail (Antelope Island)

Sentry Trail (Antelope Island)

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 40.92600°N / 112.16920°E
Additional Information County: Davis
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4271 ft / 1302 m

Overview

The Sentry Trail is one of two trails that have been opened to the public on the south end of Antelope Island State Park. These were opened about 4 years ago, and offer some different views of the southern end of the island. They also offer great views to the north of the south face and ridge of Frary Peak. There are awesome views of the Stansbury Mountains to the southwest, Stansbury Island, and all the west desert ranges. This trail is a loop, mostly double track, but also has a nice mile of single track as it wraps around the west side of the island. This route is an excellent winter get away, and is also nice in the early spring and fall. There are lots of opportunities for wildlife viewing. Buffalo, antelope, mule deer, coyote, are seen quite frequently. The trail is named after a small peak that sits all by itself at the top of the ridge, straddling the west and east sides of the island. Too bad you can't climb it.

Trail Location/Information

The trailhead is located south of the parking lot of the Fielding Garr Ranch, on the southeast side of the island. This is 11 mile drive form the northern tip of the island after coming across the causway. The trailhead is marked very well. Addition trail information is available at the ranch or visitors center.

Trail length: 6.7 miles
Elevation gain: 940 ft


There are restrooms at the ranch, but no water. So, make sure you bring you own.

Red tape/restrictions

Like most of the trails on the island, off - trail travel is not allowed. But, unlike the other trails, you must sign in at the ranch and receive a permit. You will have read a sheet explaining all the rules and expectations, and sign. You will then receive a permit after you pay a $1.00 deposit. You'll get this back when you return.


No pets are allowed.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.