Sernio East Face Normal

Sernio East Face Normal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.47590°N / 13.13920°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA II-, mostly I
Sign the Climber's Log

Introduction

The eastern ascent route on Monte Sernio is a very beautiful tour. It is diverse, the scenery is great and the ascent is also quite challenging for a hiker. But the tour can be also quite long. Monte Sernuio belongs to Paularo and from there this ascent goes quite around. But if you are staying in this mountain group for more than just one day, this is one of the first ascent options to consider.

Rating The Route (By Hiking Standards)

On the SAC Hiking Scale the route difficulty would be graded T5.

On the E ridge of Monte... On the east ridge

0. General: From 1732 m to 2187 m, slopes exposition east. Marked (yellow marks), but not protected. Difficulties don't exceed UIAA II- degree (one detail, otherwise I). During the whole ascent we didn't put poles on our backpack. For the descent poles are very useful. Except good shoes you don't need any other equipment. Ascent in the morning can be hot, so have enough to drink.
1. Effort: cca 500 m (from the parking place above Val Aupa cca 1500 m). From the Nuviernulis notch you will need less than 1 h 30 min, from Rif. Grauzaria good 2 h 30 min and from the parking place above Val Aupa 4 h.
2. Power: 3 - Middle.
3. Psyche: 3 - Middle.
4. Orientation: 2 - easy.

Approach

See full screen or use mouse to explore the map here

The final part of the ascent starts on Forca Nuviernulis (notch), 1732 m. This can be reached by the following variants:

  • From Val Aupa. Parking place above Aupa valley, 725 m, Rif. Grauzaria, 1250 m, Foran de la Gjaline (saddle), 1551 m, Nuviernulis notch, 1732 m. Easy, marked path (T2), 2 h 45 min.
  • From Paularo. Parking place in Dioor, 675 m, Casera del Mestri, 1512 m, Nuviernulis notch, 1732 m. Medium demanding, marked path (T4), 3 h 30 min.

If coming from these two sides, you can also do a shortcut. While Nuviernulis notch lies on the E side of Torre Nuviernulis, a marked path goes also through the ravine W of the tower, directly up on the main ridge of Monte Sernio. Above on the ridge the crossroads is marked and a good path is descending down into the steep, crumbly ravine (T5, UIAA I).

  • From the south. An endless valley of Torrente Glagno is coming up on the Nuviernulis saddle from the south. From Morolz on the Grauzaria side you'd have some 4 h 45 min to the saddle, T4. By this ascent you don't need to go just on the saddle. A few minutes before it, the marked path goes left (west) towards the E face of Monte Sernio.

Route Description

Monte Sernio East face normal... Monte Sernio East face normal route (UIAA II-, mostly I).
Creta Grauzaria from the... The path on Sernio
On the Eastern route to Monte... Scenery

From the Nuviernulis notch you descend some 20 m towards the south where the marked path deters right (westwards) through pine-bushes. Is descends some more meters until the lowest rocks of Torre Nuviernulis are reached, then it starts ascending first quite steeply then moderately until the main ridge of Monte Sernio is reached W of the Nuviernulis tower.

The path continues in the same direction, soon hits the first steep rocky step and overcomes it in an easy climb. Climbing over rocky steps and following the path over a steep terrain is always exchanging and the route keeps close to the edge of Monte Sernio's beautiful NE face. Following good marks we ascend further up and reach a steep gorge, falling down into the NE face. It turns us left, the route goes into the ravine, which continues above the gorge and follows it a few more meters until the ravine is closed by a boulder. There we must exit towards the right, climbing up by a narrow but short ledge. Difficulties don't exceed UIAA II- and at the end of the ledge there's also a wedge to install protection. Above, the climb becomes even easier and the route goes left and away from the NE face edge.

We cross some 50 m into the east face, where the route scrambles up again. The terrain is unpleasant, crumbly, but not difficult to climb. After passing a fine limestone plate the route turns right again, in few turns gains considerable height and hits the SE ridge again. Following the easy ridge directly up we soon see the first cross (the bigger one stands on the fore-summit), reach it, pass it and finally reach also the second, smaller cross on the main summit.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.