Viewing: 1-13 of 13
dadndave

dadndave - Jan 15, 2006 4:52 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is so appealing. Dodging the "border patrol" to see the earth as it really is - without borders. Brilliant. Count me in.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jan 15, 2006 6:37 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Sheep - but no sheep. Have to digest that one a bit...

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 15, 2006 9:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Mutton is easy to digest.

Dean

Dean - Jan 15, 2006 12:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This page is baaaaa'd but only in its name. How many sheep and goat mountains are there anyway in this wonderful state of ours?

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 15, 2006 9:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

According to the USGS website, there are 134 Sheep Mountains in the USA. Four of these are in Washington. The two I'm most familiar with are this one and the one by Monte Cristo (Barlow Pass). There's this one in Ferry County and this one off of the Blewett Pass Highway (though it has very little prominence; more like a promontory point).

Scott

Scott - Jan 15, 2006 9:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Are you sure there are no mountain sheep up there?

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 15, 2006 10:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You mean mountain goats? Yes, probably.

Scott

Scott - Jan 15, 2006 10:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I was refering to these ones, but maybe the ones in WA are more the desert type only, as I don't ever remember seeing any up there. Must not be the alpine type? In CO, they have the Rocky Mountain Bighorns in the Alpine areas, but Desert Bighorns down low in the deserts and foothills.



Lee Stamm

Lee Stamm - Jan 15, 2006 11:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

California Bighorn Sheep, which formerly ranged from the southern Sierra Nevada north up the east slope of the Cascades into central British Columbia, are still found in Cathedral Provincial Park, just across the border from this area. (Here is a link that will tell you all you will ever need to know about this type of bighorn.) It is possible that a few may occasionally stray across the border into the Sheep Mountain environs. As far as the Sinlahekin transplants referred to in the link you provided, Scott, I have seen no reports of sightings of this herd in any areas west of the Chewuch River. We can hope that they may repopulate their former range someday.

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 16, 2006 11:48 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I can say that I myself have never seen a bighorn sheep in any part of the Cascades except maybe the more desert-like lower east slopes--especially those down toward Yakima.



Sheep of the domesticated variety were once quite prevalent in the Pasayten, hence names such as Driveway Butte and the trail near there where sheep were "driven" to their summer grazing areas deeper in the mountains.

Lee Stamm

Lee Stamm - Jan 15, 2006 11:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Spiffy continuation of your mission to bring obscure Pasayten summits to their deserved notice.

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 16, 2006 11:49 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Maybe I'll do Bald Mountain too. I only have four pictures of it but they're all pretty good/clear shots.

Thanks for stopping in.

Baa'aah.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Jan 16, 2006 2:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great--something more interesting to count before sleep than the animal! Of course, it gets me all motivated for next summer, which keeps me awake, so I'm tired and grumpy the next day. Thanks.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Sheep Mountain' main page