Viewing: 1-4 of 4
rpc

rpc - May 8, 2007 1:28 am - Voted 10/10

nice page

Sheep are sooooo _HOT_!!

knutella - Dec 23, 2011 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Sloan Hills mining

Will the new mining operation interfere with this hike?

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_information/nepa/sloan_hills_competitive.html

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - Dec 24, 2011 6:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sloan Hills mining

It shouldn't, the sloan hills are further north. Sheep Mountain is right next to Jean, NV.

MissRealtorWood

MissRealtorWood - May 11, 2014 8:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Headed up at the Shooting Range...

I appreciate redsplashman23's description of Sheep Mountain and his hike there. He is one of my favorite posters to this site (Potosi, etc.).

MAY, 2014
I suggest a slightly different route than the one he took. Instead of going up the dirt road to the right, we traveled straight briefly after the underpass and turned onto the VERY wide gravel road that leads directly to the base of what must have been a mine or a truck turn around or something. It is now an informal shooting range. We parked well off to the side and not at the end of the road to avoid the Jeep becoming an accidental target.
After parking, we walked to the hill that looms above the area that is used as the range. We saw numerous shells of many types, many objects with bullet holes in them, and some broken glass. Not an auspicious beginning but no one was there (mid day). We then saw two paths to follow -- one high to the left and a lower one to the right. We took the higher road to the left and worked our way up the steep hill that looms directly above the shooting range, and gained the ridge immediately. From there, we followed it across a little bit tricky ridge to stay left upon the ridgeline.
From there on out it was a walk in HEAVEN along a wide range of ridges to the summit. We used the map provided by Redsplashman23 and just followed along, following our noses around to the highest point. There is a delightful shallow cave-like shelter where we found a swallows nest and they allowed us to rest in the shade while they nervously hopped around in the brush. We left a few grapes as a short-term rental payment.
The only other item of real note was that it was super hot and sunny - absolutely no shade other than the cave. So, I was thankful I was dressed head to toe in desert gear, had plenty of water, and could move at a slow pace. I highly recommend this spproach over traveling into the valley and then having to head up. If you like rock scrambling even a little bit it's well worth it.
We met some shooters when we returned. I waved my arms a LOT at each point we were in view and they finally spotted us. They were very polite and indicated (as i imagine is common for the shooters) that they had never stepped foot beyond the base of the hill. So, the shooting range was the extent of the human contact we had that day. Very peaceful, quiet and completely wild.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Sheep Mountain' main page