Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.76069°N / 115.29513°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4184 ft / 1275 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sheep Mountain is the prominent mountain rising on the east side of Jean, NV. It can be seen when driving along I-15 on your way to Las Vegas residing behind the state prison at its base on the West side of the mountain. The views from the summit provide excellent views of the McCullough Mountains to the East, the Spring Mountains to the West and Northwest, and many more desert lakes and desert peaks to the south into California.

Also, if hiking this peak on the weekend you might get an airshow. Gliders as well as small planes like to fly and practice around here. You might get buzzed by a glider while summiting this rarely desert climbed peak.

4 planes in formationPlanes in formation flying by Sheep Mountain.

Getting There

From Las Vegas, drive south on I-15 to exit 12 at Jean, NV. When you exit the Interstate turn left (East) at the stop. Continue a short distance to a stop sign. Turn left at the stop sign. You will now be on HWY 604 heading north. Drive for 1.6 miles and turn right. After 0.6 miles you will go underneath a Railroad. Continue for another 0.6 miles and then turn right (south) onto a dirt road. Drive for 0.7 miles and park here.

NOTE: Locals come to this area for shooting and target practice.


Red Tape

There is NO RED TAPE to climb Sheep Mountain.

Camping

This is on BLM land. Camping is permitted on BLM land as long as you are more than 100 feet from a water source. However, I would not camp here since people like to come and target practice. There are many hotels in Las Vegas about 25 miles to the north. Jean even has a local casino.

The Hike



From the parking area you will see a ridge on the SE side. Once you gain the ridge stay on the ridge as it goes south, southeast. Eventually the ridge widens and opens up. You will be able to see the summit to the south here. Continue south along the widened area of the ridge to a saddle. From the saddle you can turn right and follow the contour of the ridge which eventually heads south to the summit. The last ΒΌ mile or so to the summit gets a little steep but it is only for a short distance.

Total distance is just over 2 miles with about 1,200 feet of elevation gain.

Route from the North

Mountain Conditions



When to Hike

The best time to hike Sheep Mountain is from Fall-Spring. The summer months at this low elevation would be scorching in heat. If you do hike it in the summer do it early in the day and get it over with, or if you are lucky to get a cool spell that comes through.

Sheep Mountain s Ridge

Summit Shots

Jim on Sheep Mountain
Myself on Sheep Mountain


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.