Shenandoah Peak with LVMC

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 35.85000°N / 115.509°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 31, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Drive In

Our LVMC group met near the Silverton Casino. We then drove south and turned off of I-15 East towards Good Springs at Jean. The sky was very dusty around Jean with the off-road festivals that were going on there over the dry lakes just east of town.

As we got to Good Springs we turned right on Esmeralda. We then drove a short distance to Pacific, and then turned left. This led us to a dirt road that was very well maintained due to mining in the area. At the fork we took a left and then drove another 1.2 miles where we turned left on another dirt road where we parked less than 100 yards. We could not see the summit from here as it is behind the ridge to the south.

Shenandoah Peak

The Hike

Shenandoah GPS Traceroute we hiked
































We started hiking up the North Ridge right in front of where we parked. As we contoured around we gained a steep 4WD road up that lead us to a Microwave tower. We enjoyed a short break here. Then we continued south up the ridge where we had to contour around to meet up with the main ridge that heads SE toward the summit.

Right after you reach the contour and head SE along the ridge you can see Shenandoah Peak to the SE. After a short distance on the ridge you run into a false peak with a big tower. From here you just follow the ridge around and then we reached the summit.

The Summit

Griffith Peak and Mt. CharlestonGriffith Peak and Mt. Charleston






























The summit provided great 360 degree views. To the NW you could see snow capped Mt. Charleston and Griffith Peak. To the east you could see the dust from the off-road races at Jean. To the north was Mt. Potosi. It was a nice sunny day.

Our hike leader, Kim and her husband Josh, had their little one along on the hike. This gave Josh a nice workout. We could not find the summit register so I placed a new one on the summit. Later the old one was found buried, so now there are 2 summit registers on Shenandoah.

The total distance to the summit was 1.82 miles with about 1,120 feet of elevation gain. It was a nice relaxing hike with rewarding views.



LVMC on Shenandoah Peaksummit shot of LVMC

Return Trip

A few people from our group stopped and enjoyed a little local culture with some locals from the Good Springs area at only bar in that town, the Pioneer Saloon. After enjoying some drinks myself and the 2 people that rode with me drove back and enjoyed the buffet at the Silverton Casino off of I-15 and Blue Diamond Road.

Pioneer SaloonPioneer Saloon in Good Springs, NV


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Shenandoah PeakTrip Reports