Shkhara Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
BigLee

BigLee - Apr 8, 2006 5:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Cheers Janne

I'll update tomorrow. I have the 'old maps' as well! Great photos by the way.

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Jul 26, 2011 6:33 pm - Hasn't voted

5193m

The mountain is 5193m high. I surveyed it with DGPS in 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shkhara#cite_ref-height_0-0
http://www.mountain.ru/article/article_display1.php?article_id=5000

winterking2004 - May 9, 2014 6:52 am - Hasn't voted

Zugdidi to Mestia

As of September 2011, the improvements on the road from Zugdidi to Mestia were completed, the road is now widened and paved allowing for travel by marshrutka (minibus) to Mestia, in much less time, two hours or less. There are also plans to improve the road from Mestia to Ushguli, though I don't know when this slated to happen, or if it has already. I stayed with the Ratiani family in Mestia, and they were very helpful in arranging transport to Ushguli. In Ushguli, to save time/energy you may consider renting horses to carry you and/or your gear to the foot of the mountain.. this is very inexpensive. Happy travels!

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Oct 26, 2017 5:00 am - Hasn't voted

Georgian routes

The ascent is NOT easier from Georgian side. The easiest option is the right S pillar at 5B. I climbed and skied (what had snow) that in 2010. The 4B route is NOT 4B - I attempted it in 2011. Glacier retreat, steep ascents and re-ascents make it difficult and long, plus its illegal because you cross into Russian territory.
I gave up on that pretty fast. It used to a descent route, nowadays descending the S pillar is what people do.
As such, the 5A route from Russia is the easiest route.

DawnchaserTheAdventurer

DawnchaserTheAdventurer - Mar 7, 2024 12:15 am - Hasn't voted

Status of Svaneti Roads as of August 2023

Road from Kutaisi to Ushguli, via Lentekhi up through Zagari Pass is mostly paved and in good condition. A few spots between Mestia and Ushguli are still unpaved, but are mostly graded and are being prepped for full paving. The hostel/ hotel situation in Zugdidi is not currently relevant, as the Abkhazian refugees have all migrated elsewhere in the country. There are currently numerous guesthouses in Mestia and a few in Ushguli that provide comfortable accommodations to climbers. The security situation is generally safe, just exercise normal caution with leaving belongings and tents unattended in the lower valleys. Svaneti has become very tourism-oriented and is as safe as most parts of Georgia now.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Shkhara' main page