Stubaital

Page Type Page Type: Logistical Center
Location Lat/Lon: 47.15984°N / 11.42578°E
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The stubaital is in winter well known for its waterfalls. Most of these are very well accessable. Disadvantage of several easy routes is that sometimes the falls can be crowded. For example the Grawa fall. WI 2/3 at the side of the road. You can imagine how many people there will be.

If you want to avoid crowds, probably it is a good idea to take a 2 hour walk into the Pinnistal from Neustift (one of the "larger" cities in Stubaital)
At Pinnisalm there are lots of falls varying from WI 2 up to WI6. Another advantage is the situation. It is located around 1.800 Meters and therefor colder than the Stubaital (800 Meters) itself.

Getting There

By car from Innsbruck following the signs "Stubaital"

Grawafall is close to the road to "Stubaier gletcherbahn" at you left hand a few kilometers after Volderau.
Just before the Grawa (before the avalangetunnel) at your left hand there are about 4 falls (Dwarf 1 to 4). The entire section is called Snowwhite and the 7 dwarfs. In totally 8 falls.


Red Tape

Getting to the Pinnisalm by car is impossible. It will take about two hours to get there. the falls in the Stubaital itself are easy to reach by car. Most of the time it is possible to park the car at the side of the road in parkingspots or in the small villages.

Take notice of the risk of avalanges. Several falls are exposed.

When To Climb

The falls can be climbed from the end of December up to February depending on the temperature.

Camping

It is easy to get an appartment in one of the villages in the Stubaital. i would suggest Neustift or Volderau. In Volderau there is an camping including a fine restaurant (not expensive) and a room to get your clothing warm and dry. This camping is better than the one in Neustift.

Mountain Conditions

For actual conditions, check the following sites:

Basislager.ch

In case the falls are not ready yet, you could take a look at the stubaier Gletcher. Often an ice tower is made. Check the website:

Miscellaneous InfoGood info can be find in the following book:
Andi Orgler, Klettern in den Subaier Alpen (ISBN 3-926807-21-0)
For dutch climbers there is a topo in dutch. Available at Namasté in Amersfoort. Price about 10 Euro.

A short impression of the falls in Stubaital:
Bichelersfall WI3
Mischbachfall WI5
Falbesonerfall WI4
Dwarf 1-7 WI2 to WI6
Grawafall WI 2-3

And an short list of the falls in Pinnistal:
Kesselfall WI4
Männer ohne Nerven WI 5 (this one has 4 different routes WI5/5+)
Gully WI3-5
Vorhang WI4+
Eiszeit WI4
Kerze WI5+-6
Rumpelkammer WI4
Klein aber Fein WI4
Gardine WI3-4
Chamäleon WI4
Familiensonntag WI3-4
Felchrinnee WI1-2

The falls at Pinnistal are divided in two sectors, the lower and upper floor. Also the falls at the upper floor are climbable as it is possible to reach them by foot.

For short descriptions of several falls and topo's look at:
Topo's
Currently not available

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Stubai AlpsLogistical Centers