Taylor Ranch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.12220°N / 105.185°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, but long
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The Trailhead is at 9,240 feet and accesses Culebra's west slopes. From the town of San Luis on Colorado 159 turn southeast onto road P6 (fourth street). Once in the town of Chama turn left (east) on road L7. Then turn right (south) onto road 22.3 and cross Culebra Creek. Finally turn left (east) onto road M5 follow the road as it will turn to a dirt road. After this point you will run into the Taylor Ranch gates.



Route Description


This is the only legal way (right-now) to bag this peak. Start at the Taylor Ranch and make your way up a steep four-wheel drive road. Go through what's called "fourway" which a junction in the road, after a mile or so an old parking lot will appear. From hear leave the road and climb up the steep grassy slope to the ridge. Follow the ridge past a huge cairn then climb down a couple hundred feet to the saddle that separates Culebra from it's smaller summit to the north-east. From the saddle simply follow the ridge up the summit. The long day's hike entails 13 miles round trip and 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Due to the length of this hike be prepared for anything.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.