Gold Hill via Whitney Reservior

Gold Hill via Whitney Reservior

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.81000°N / 110.954°W
Additional Information Route Type: Cross-country hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The best access to the trailhead is the Whitney Road. The Gold Hill Road can also be used, but is a rougher and slower drive. The Whintney Road is marked with a sign-post and is branches west off Highway 150 43 miles east and north of Kamas or 35 miles south of Evanston. This graded gravel road is good for all cars. From Highway 150, follow the Whitney Road west to the junction with the Whitney Reservior Road. This junction is just after the bridge that crosses the West Fork Bear River. Follow the Whitney Reservior Road and then take a right after about two miles (from the Whitney Road). The road stays above the reservoir on the west side. Park at the south end of the reservior and on the east side of the West Fork Bear River.

Route Description

From the reservior, head cross-country up the West Fork Bear River for about 1.25 miles. There is an old road at first, and then hiker/fishermen made trails along the river. After 1.25 miles, notice the open slope heading up to the ridge-top to the east. Climb this open slope to the ridge-top, and then follow the ridge to the summit. The slope is a bit steep, but the route is fairly easy. Enjoy the fine views from the summit. This route is just over four miles round trip.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.