Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.16300°N / 118.5284°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Expedition
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 (optional Class 3)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the main page to the base of the southeast ridge. House 21800 is an important landmark on the approach. Once past the house, look for a pink ribbon alongside the road, perhaps a hundred yards north of House 21800. This isolated sign of human presence in these wild lands indicates the start of a faint use trail that leads through pristine meadows on the lower part of the ridge.

Route Description


Follow the ridge up. Some ducks help with the routefinding in places. A rocky outcropping part way up is the main obstacle. It is a thrilling class 2-3 rock climb, cause for serious sphincter pucker. If you choose to bypass the rock climbing, you can keep the ridge to mostly class 1. However, you cannot avoid the scrambling entirely. Some downed trees further up require more class 2 scrambling. See the attached photos for more beta.

The peak consists of twin summits; the righthand one is the highpoint.

Essential Gear


Sturdy boots are useful. The peak stands almost 5,700' in height, so the area can occasionally receive snow. In this case, axe, crampons, and possibly snowshoes may be helpful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.