Sistema Ibérico

Sistema Ibérico

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 41.78830°N / 1.8376°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7598 ft / 2316 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sistema Ibérico is a very long range in the north of Spain with direction Northwest-Southeast with a lot of little ranges. It can divide generally in three sectors: NW, Central and SE.

-Sector NW in which they emphasize the ranges of Urbión, Demanda and Cebollera. They are composed mainly by quartzites, shales and sandy, while the depressions that remain among them are covered with limestones. It was affected by the glaciers, for which we can appreciate glacial gaps, morrenics arches and other morphologies related to glacial processes.

-Sector central in which two branches are distinguished: the Castillian(occidental-western) and the aragonese one (eastern-oriental), in which we find the greatest mountain (Moncayo 2315 m). Among both is located the basin of Almazán. As a group, is constituted by a series of syncline and anticline toward the NE. The stones dominant are the calcareous in the mesozoic material and the quartzites in the Paleozoic, origin these of hardly stand out morphological leveled by the erosion and constituting thus a relief of type apalachense. -Sector SE in which also the aragonese and castillian branches are distinguished, separated by the depression of the Alto Jiloca. This last one binds with the Coastal-Catalonian Chains in the arches of Portalrubio-Calanda. It is an assembly of structures hardly fold with Iberian direction (NW-SE) and Catalonian (NE-SW) extensively devastated. The stone dominant is the limestone, although in some zones remain the slaty.

Provinces

A very long range like this goes across some different regions (and provinces) of Spain: -Castilla-León (Burgos, Soria) -La Rioja -Castilla-La Mancha (Guadalajara, Cuenca) -Aragón (Zaragoza, Teruel) -Cataluña (Tarragona) -Comunidad Valenciana (Castellón, Valencia)

Sector NW

 

North face of San Lorenzo ....

San Lorenzo (2271m)

  • Sierra de la Demanda: It's an important range between Burgos and la Rioja with the important little ranges of San Lorenzo and San Millan. In the peak San Lorenzo is the ski resort of Valdezcaray. -Sierra de San Lorenzo: the peak San Lorenzo is the highest of the Sierra de la Demanda with an easy climb from ski resort of Valdezcaray and for this reason it's a popular peak all the year, even in winter. Mountains: Chilizarrias (1825m), La Cuña (2012m), Cabeza Parda (2118m), San Lorenzo (2271m), Colocobia (1972m), Salineros (2099m), Pancrudo (2079m), Embautia (1889m). For the peakbaggers: San Lorenzo is the highest point of La Rioja.  
    Sierra de San Millan

    San Millan

    -Sierra de San Millan: less frequented and know, it has also some interesting and easy mountains. Mountains: San Millán (2131m), Campos Blancos (2055m), Cabeza Aguilez (2033m), Trigaza (2085m), Torruco (1926m), Zarzabala (1902m), Caton (2037m), Necutia (2024m), Espelcia (2001m), Cruz de la Demanda (1924m). For the peakbaggers: San Millan is the highest peak of province of Burgos. -Sierra Mencilla: Mencilla (1929m). -Sierra de Neila: Campiña (2048m).
  • Sierra de Urbión: important massif with the born of river Duero between the provinces of Burgos and La Rioja. The peak Urbion is the most frequented but it's a long massif with other peaks and ranges:  
     Picos de Urbion

    Urbión (2229m)

    -Cuerda Larga de Urbión (north-west): Muñalba (2074m), Peñas Negras (2044m), Pico de las Tres Provincias (2049m), Cerro Pantorra (2044m), Picacho del Camperón (2093m), Peñas Blancas (2161m), Urbion (2228m), Risco Zurraquí­n (2105m). -Sierra de Mojón Alto (south): Rasón (2070m), Mojón Alto (2093m), Tres Fuentes (1931m). -Cordal de Santa Inés (east): Alto de las Tres Mojoneras (1879m), Santa Inés (1878m), Alto de las Tres cruces (1890), Peña Negra (2025m), Buey (2034m).  
    Sierra de Cebollera

    Sierra de Cebollera

  • Sierra de Cebollera: Near of Urbión is an interesting Natural park between the provinces of Soria and La Rioja. -Mountains: Mesa (2168m), Pico de Cebollera (2142m), Castillo de Vinuesa (2086m), Peñón de Santosonario (2046m), Alto de Cueva Mayor (2143m), Peña de Sancho Zanarrio (2061m), Terrazas (1835m), los Castillejos (1768m) and Cabezo de Piqueras (1931m).
  • Sierra de Alcarama-Tierras Altas In the border between Soria and La Rioja and near village of San Pedro Manrique with some interesting hiking routes. -Mountains: --Sierra de Alcamara: Alcarama (1531m). --Tierras Altas, Sierra de Rodadero: Hoya Redonda (1577m), Peña Turquilla (1599m).

Sector Central

 

Llast ridge of Moncayo

Moncayo (2316m)

 

Peñas de Herrera

P. de Herrera (1564m)

Sierra del Moncayo:

Is the most important of Sistema Iberico and contain the highest and most popular peak, the Pico San Miguel or Moncayo (2316m). The area it's a great Natural Park with a lot of hikes and paths but the climb of the peak Moncayo or San Miguel it's one of the most popular hikes of the country. Almost all the people of the area, mountaineer or not, they climb someday the peak. Another spectacular places of the park are the climb of the Peñas de Herrera (1564m), beautiful rocky peaks over the village of Talamantes or the ravine of Horcajuelo with the Cerro del Morrón.

-Mountains: Peña Negrilla or Moncayo de Castilla (2118m), Moncayo/San Miguel (2316m), Cerro San Juan (2283m), Morca (2280m), Peña Lobera (2226m), Cabezo Bellido (1838m), Cabezo del Caíz (1836m),Muela del Horcajuelo (1715m), Cerro del Morrón (1731m), Peñas de Herrera (1564m), La Tonda (1498m).

Serranía de Cuenca At NE of province of Cuenca.

-Mountains: Mogorrita (1864m), San Felipe (1840m), Collado Bajo (1838m), El Molatí­n (1657m), Juez (1543m), Puntal de Zomatilla (1463m).

Sierra de Caldereros Low range to the NW of Sierra Menera. The nearest village is Cubillejo de la Sierra (Guadalajara). -Mountains: Aguila (1443m).

Sierra Menera It's a low range located to the N of Sierra de Albarrací­n in Teruel. Trailheads: mines of Sierra Menera or Ojos Negros. -Mountains: Lobo (1538m).

Montes de Picaza Is a low range on the NW of Sierra de Albarrací­n. Trailhead: Traid (Guadalajara). -Mountains: Colmenarejo (1426m).

Sierra de Albarrací­n-Montes Universales At west of province of Teruel with some ranges:

-Montes Universales: Puntal del Corzo (1747m), Puntal de Lázaro (1723m), Jabalón (1689m), Carrasco (1607m), Coronillas (1490m). -Serraní­a de Albarrací­n: Sierra Alta (1855m). -Sierra del Tremedal: Caimodorro (1920m), Peña de la Gallina (1883m), Nevera (1833m).

Sector SE

 

Javalambre

Javalambre

 

Penyagolosa (1.814m)

Penyagolosa

 

Serra d Espadà

Espadá

 

Mont Caro

Mont Caro

 

Cerro Calderón (1.839m)

Calderon

 

Peñarroya (2024m)

Peñarroya

 

Hornillo (2000m)

Hornillo

Sierra de Gúdar At SE of Teruel in direction to Maestrazgo.

-Mountains: Peñarroya (2024m), Alto del Hornillo (1999m). The peak Peñarroya (2024m) is the highest point of province of Teruel.

Javalambre At SE of Teruel. The peak Javalambre is the second highest point of province of Teruel.

-Mountains: Javalambre (2020m), Alto de la Chaparrosa (2003m), La Atalaya (2001m), Cerro Calderón (1839m). The main peak of the range is Javalambre but Calderón is interesting because is the highest peak of province of Valencia.

El Maestrazgo At east of province of Teruel in the border with Castellón. It's an interesting natural enviroment with the ravines of river Guadalope or the Geologic Park of Aliaga.

-Mountains: Bramadoras (1885m), Carrascón (1815m), Penyagolosa (1814m), Muela Monchen (1779m), Hoyalta (1761 m), Tarayuela (1737 m). As curiosity Penyagolosa is the highest peak of province of Castellón.

Serra d'Espadá At south of province of Castellón near of Mediterranean Sea.

-Mountains: Pina (1402m), Rápita (1106m), Pinar (1101m), Casullas (1064m), Espadá (1041m). Sierra de Selas and Parameras de Molina are a group of rather little mountains between Establí­s, Rueda de la Sierra, Molina and Anquela del Ducado, all in the province of Guadalajara. -Mountains: Aragoncillo (1517m), Mojón Alto (1408m).

Els Ports Interesting massif in Tarragona at North of province of Castellon. -Mountains: Mont Caro (1447m).

External links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Mar 16, 2006 12:03 pm - Voted 9/10

Sierra Menera

It's a low range located to the N of Sierra de Albarracín so it is in the Central Sector. Sierra Menera borders on the province of Teruel being Lobo (1.538 m) the highest summit. The base of the ascent would be the mines of Sierra Menera or Ojos Negros (little Barrios del Centro or del Centro) though other bigger villages are Ojos Negros and Villar del Salz, both in Teruel too. Setiles in Guadalajara could be other base. Sierra Menera There is another low range to the NW of Sierra Menera that also is considered a part of Sistema Central. It is Sierra de Caldereros and the highest top is Aguila (1.443 m). The nearest village is Cubillejo de la Sierra (Guadalajara).

Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Mar 16, 2006 12:32 pm - Voted 9/10

More ranges in the Central Sector of Sistema Ibérico

Montes de Picaza is a low range on the NW of Sierra de Albarracín being Colmenarejo (1.426 m) its highest summit. Traid (Guadalajara) could be the base of the climb. Sierra de Selas and Parameras de Molina form a group of rather little mountains between Establés, Rueda de la Sierra, Molina and Anquela del Ducado, all in the province of Guadalajara. The highest summit is Aragoncillo (1.517 m) in Sierra de Selas and Mojón Alto (1.408 m) could be considered the top of Parameras de Molina. The village of Aragoncillo is base village for climbing the first and Rueda de la Sierra could be the one for Mojón Alto. http://www.cibermonte.com/meteo/articulo.php?id=6

visentin

visentin - Dec 4, 2010 3:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Tierras Altas

http://www.summitpost.org/valdelavilla-and-the-tierras-altas/329920 If the Eastern Pyrenees were to exist, wouln't this album be attached to it rather than Sistema Iberico ?

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Dec 7, 2010 4:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tierras Altas

I think not. Valdelavilla is in Soria, very far of Pyrenees. You has two peaks of Soria in SP: Urbión and Moncayo (Soria+Zaragoza) and you can see the long distance. Sistema Ibérico is also far of Pyrenees.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.