Snowy Peak trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.70030°N / 74.3864°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike + some rock scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The Snowy Peak trailhead is located on NY 30 approximately 6 miles south of Indian Lake, NY. There is a small parking lot across Route 30 from the trailhead.

Route Description


The 3.7 mile red-blazed trail is very easy to follow. Your first 2.5 miles are gentle, gaining only about 800 feet. The last 1.2 mile, however is where you earn the rest of Snowy's 2,106' of gain. It is a rock scramble that gets progressively steeper as you approach the summit, following what appears to be a dried up stream bed. There are also 2 sections of smooth rock (not technical) just below the summit. Once you've pulled yourself up the last one, though, you are rewarded with an excellent view of Indian Lake and the surrounding mountains. "Book time" is 6 hours round trip.

Essential Gear


No special gear is required except perhaps in winter on the last mile of trail. Depending on snow conditions, instep crampons might be necessary in winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.