Viewing: 1-20 of 39
12
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Jul 25, 2007 1:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Great TR!

You spun the narrative wonderfully and the photos are great.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 25, 2007 1:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR!

Thank you very much. Thanks for taking the time to read it and glad you enjoyed the photos.

Dan

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 25, 2007 4:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Damn my kidneys!!!

We'll have more time in the Tetons, don't worry. But if you bail on me next time it better be life or death!

Dan

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jul 25, 2007 4:19 pm - Voted 10/10

A fine tale

And congrats on an equally fine achievement. What it is to be young and immortal!

Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Martin

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 25, 2007 4:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A fine tale

Thanks for the proof read, while my enthusiasm and youth in climbing make me invincible, I obviously am no spelling master! The changes have been made, appreciate the help.

Dan

Dean

Dean - Jul 25, 2007 4:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Whew...

...these solo stories get me sweating a bit. As MI said above, great TR and pics. Glad you are skilled enough to pull such a climb off.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 25, 2007 4:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Whew...

So am I, otherwise I would end up on this site in an obituary as opposed to being able to write a TR. Thanks for the read and the comment.

Dan

Scott Rogers

Scott Rogers - Jul 25, 2007 5:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Cool TR Dan... Looks like an incredible trip. Glad you made it back in one piece too!

-scott

MTW

MTW - Jul 26, 2007 9:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Stuff

Just climbed the Complete Exum last weekend! Check it out...Nice report!

Cheers,
Micah

Nelson

Nelson - Jul 27, 2007 12:48 am - Voted 10/10

What can I say?

Well done, man, in beautiful style. Great write up. Congrats.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 27, 2007 10:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: What can I say?

Thank you, this was definately one of the largest leaps in climbing that I have done yet. How have you been!? We need to get out some-time again... without any snow!

Dan

astrobassman

astrobassman - Jul 30, 2007 3:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Congratulations

Hey nice trip report...I enjoyed reading it. Although I'm nowhere near soloing the grand, I can sure relate to forgetting about all those problems with work, that problematic girl, etc. and just focusing on the mountain. Well done.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 30, 2007 7:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Congratulations

Climbing does something for everyone, it is nice to just be in a place where it is you and the rock. Thanks for the read and happy climbing.

Dan

foxylady

foxylady - Jul 30, 2007 3:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Congrats

on this accomplishment!

Dan Helmstadter - Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm - Hasn't voted

,

well done,

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jul 30, 2007 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

good job, but...

Great accomplishment, Dan, and a well-told story. However I worry about climbing anything under a "feeling of frustration and anger". You're a strong climber... but so was Reardon. Be careful out there and remember the words of Edward Whymper:

"There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell; and with these in mind I say: Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 30, 2007 7:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good job, but...

I agree, climbing while frustrated can lead to serious consequences. Looking back, I see that this was the most dangerous part of the climb, not the actual difficulty. Regardless, even though anger and frustration might have set the solo-climb in motion, once on the rock a pure focus and clarity came over me. I see what you mean though, thanks for the concern and the awesome quote, very well said.

Dan

mrbynum

mrbynum - Jul 30, 2007 4:35 pm - Voted 9/10

A bit of crazy?

While free-soloing is not something I'd yet consider, I can certainly appreciate the appeal. Congratulations on the accomplishment.

helmut

helmut - Jul 30, 2007 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

great trip report

A nice balance of introspection, humility, and bravado combine to make this an outstanding read. Free solo is the purest, fastest, as many other ests form of climbing. The resulting mind-set from such intense focus leaves a delible impression thereafter matched by few pursuits. The poem "Chowder Troubles" comes to mind.

There's rock in the land, man.
Cool climb,
too hip for mankind,
there are climbers that don't climb,
and are bothered by the cloud of troubles.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Jul 30, 2007 7:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great trip report

You comment is much more eloquent than my report, and I really appreciate the compliments. Nice poem,I really like it, going to have to write that one down. Thanks for the read too!

The Mountain Man

Viewing: 1-20 of 39
12
Return to 'Soloing the Grand: Exum Style' main page