South Ridge via Slate Creek

South Ridge via Slate Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11613°N / 114.62001°W
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenuous
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the only documented route on Caulkens Peak and requires a long a day or possibly even two days depending on physical abilities.

Getting There

From Stanley, Idaho travel east on Idaho 75 for about 20 miles until reaching the turnoff for Slate Creek Road. Turn right and follow it upstream along the Salmon river for less than a mile. When reaching an unnmarked fork go left and travel about 7 miles on an improved dirt road until reaching the trailhead for O'Caulkens Lake and the Slate Creek Hot Springs.

Route Description

Follow the faint trail past Slate Creek Hot Springs and the old Slate Creek Mine until crossing a small stream entering from the west. Cross the stream and go left shortly at a marked fork in an old mining road. Follow the difficult at times to find trail 3.5 miles to O'caulkens Lake at the base of the massive White CLoud Peaks.

Contour around the side of the lake and continue south up the cirque until reaching 9,400. Turn east and climb the steep draw leading down from the saddle between Caulkens Peak and WCP-9. Although steep, it is somewhat stable and contains a small and easy class III section toward the top.

Once in the saddle turn north and follow the steep but obstacle free ridge to the summit.

Essential Gear

An ixe and crampons is recommended if attempting in the early season and is recommended year-round if planning on traversing the two, twin summits.

Otherwise, there is plenty of water and no need for ropes on this route.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.